Liquid or air cooling i7 8700k

Dibbley247

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I pretty much now know what i want in my next build. But debating whether to go liquid or air cooled for the i7 8700k.
It'll be paired with a GTX 1080ti.

I do like the look of those NZXT x42 coolers, but wondering if they're any good, or is there any smart looking fan cooling options available?
I would like a bit of RGB (one colour), but not overkill (which is why i liked the look of the x42), it'll be sat on a Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 board.

Thanks

liquid cooling will usually allow for better overclocking, but it the end you can OC on AIR so it's really a preference thing. I kind of like the look of a water cooler instead of a huge heatsink with a fan on it. water cooling is cheap enough these days and parts are readily available so AIO or custom loop, pick your poisen

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I am still a big fan of qualitifed air cooling solutions as over here in Europe we focus more and silent PCs. AIO solutions usually produce a lot of noise and custom based liquid solutions are by far too expensive.
My recommendation for your 8700k would be the BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 Pro. A big and great air cooler! :)

I have the same motherboard and an overclocked 8700K with a 360 AIO the Corsair H150i Pro. The NZXT will do a good job and to be honest, I far prefer an AIO as not having a huge lump of metal hanging of my CPU was just too much especially when making changes.

I will say a good Air Cooler like a Noctua or the Dark Rock 4 Pro as suggested will also do a good job, but I do disagree on the noise as a good AIO with a decent set of fans will run more than quietly enough and as importantly cool at the top end a little better. In my case the Corsair H150i Pro has some Mag Lev fans and they are fantastically quiet and yet cool my 4.9GHz overclock with ease