List of SSDs with SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

checkitman22

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Tom's only lists

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Kingston HyperX 3K, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

I know there are more, what are they? Is there a list anywhere? If not someone should make one.

I've got a Samsung in my own personal rig. The new one was for my wife. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64. The installation was a lot faster than with a hard drive.

I got slowed down hunting for the latest drivers and updates on line but that had nothing to do with the ssd.

If you're that worried about speed, then you could get a faster drive. During regular work, it's not easy to tell the difference between the fastest SSD and a moderate SSD like the Samsung 830. You will only see the difference when you do something much more storage intensive. The 830 is not a slow drive, it's just not even close to being the fastest. It is still unbelievably ahead of a hard drive.

I have found the 830 to be very stable and it does offer a pretty good performance level. Unless you're operating some kind of crazy network RAID 10 server or something, you're probably not going to notice the speed difference that much.

RAID has nothing to do with it and it being in a server also has nothing to do with it. I could easily tell the difference if I simply do multiple large archive decompression jobs at once. The point was that OP wouldn't be able to tell the difference under normal circumstances. It doesn't take something overly extreme for the difference to become blatantly obvious, especially since Vertex 4 is several times faster for many workloads, it just takes something a little more extreme and more specific.

don largo

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

My ssd is an older Vertex which is indilinx and not sanforce. It has been a constant source of trouble in Win & ultimate with: freezes, crashes, corruption of system files, not booting (due to system corruption) and catastrophic failure (disappearing entirely from BIOS). So how do you explain that?

OCZ owes us an explanation so that we can try to deal with their mess and make informed decisions, but OCZ is silent on the matter. As I see it, Eric Ryder of OCZ forum fame collects a lot of data on consumer behavior without offering any useful information in return, and I believe that they do this to determine how best to shut out consumers from accessing their own drives. I say this because he has stated in that forum that they do not issue instructions publicly to avoid competitors decompiling and reverse engineering their products. The only reason I could see for anyone reverse engineering an OCZ product would be to determine how not to make a drive or to run a business.

I still love my little ssd, but OCZ needs to seriously meditate on its bad attitude and the damage it is doing to itself and to ssd technology in general.

Vertex 4 has a Marvell controller, not Indilinx. OCZ re-branded it as Indilinx, but that's just a re-brand and it's actually not related to the previous Indilinx controllers. The Marvell controller in the Vertex 4 is nothing like the older Indilinx controllers. I think that it's similar to the Marvell controller in the upcoming Corsair Neutron series and if Corsair trusts this controller, then it's almost definitely great even if I hadn't already tested it myself. This Marvell controller, like Marvell's others, is highly reliable and high-performance.

don largo

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Yes, I realize that from other comments on the net, but my concern/issue is that I have an indilinx controller with problems which are supposedly associated with a sandforce controller. Something still doesn't add up. The Vertex4 may be, and I hope will be, a problem free ssd. I am not down on the Vertex drives 1-4 so much as dissatisfied with the way it is being handled by OCZ.

I suspect some problem with software compatibility. Since I just had to do another destructive flash and install on my Vertex, I went and got all the latest drivers, but the Intel package installed some executables on my machine which were unable to launch at boot and which then stopped my computer with UAC requests. I am given to understand it is because Intel installed them to the 32bit folder and so they remain unregistered. My point here being that if Intel can't do something as simple as install its own programs (which the installer never asked me about, by the way) imagine what kind of bozos they have working down there and what kind of mess they might be capable of making.

OCZ needs to open up to its consumers given that they have sold us a big mess.

OK, I see your point here.

Also, run a disk check and a virus scan. That does not look good.