Question Load Browser/Restore Windows from Imaged Backup

Jun 8, 2023
Is there a way to load an application (Chrome browser) directly from an imaged backup of C: drive? Or even better, to restore an image of (an unbootable) Windows entirely?

Background:
My laptop previously couldn’t boot-up due to a failed Windows auto-update. After various unsuccessful repair, I gave up and re-installed Windows from scratch. Before re-installing, I took an image of my old system (i.e. bad copy with boot failure).

Recently, I tried to login to an old Gmail account, but it doesn’t recognize me anymore (browser/IP combination?) and prompted me with a security question I set 10+ years ago… I can’t remember the answer since it’s never been requested in recent years.

As my IP should be the same/similar, I’m hoping if I use the same old Chrome version, Gmail will recognize me again.

So is there a way to load the old Chrome directly from the imaged backup?

Also now that I’ve re-installed Windows and resolved the boot error, is there a way to the restore my old system into the new Windows? i.e. a Frankenstein version where the OS is the new Windows, but with my old files, applications etc. directly restored/ported in.

Many thanks for your help, really desperate as I have important stuff in the old Gmail.

USAFRet

Titan
How did you create this Image?

Some Imaging tools let you mount the image as a drive letter, and peruse the file system.
You may be able to Export the profile, and then Import into your new OS and browser.

Jun 8, 2023
Thanks, I can mount and explore the image, but I need to run the exact old Chrome version instead of just copying the profile over?

I see in my other Gmail's login history that the long version number for browser is recorded and that should be the only variable which has changed since my last login.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, I can mount and explore the image, but I need to run the exact old Chrome version instead of just copying the profile over?

I see in my other Gmail's login history that the long version number for browser is recorded and that should be the only variable which has changed since my last login.

In the Image, navigate to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\" (without quotes)
Copy the 'Default' folder to elsewhere.

Jun 8, 2023
Thanks but I still need to load up the exact old Chrome version (long number) as well? It seems Gmail stores what browser version is used on each login, not just cookies (which were probably expired as it's too old)

Oct 15, 2023
Is there a way to load an application (Chrome browser) directly from an imaged backup of C: drive? Or even better, to restore an image of (an unbootable) Windows entirely?

Background:
My laptop previously couldn’t boot-up due to a failed Windows auto-update. After various unsuccessful repair, I gave up and re-installed Windows from scratch. Before re-installing, I took an image of my old system (i.e. bad copy with boot failure).

Recently, I tried to login to an old Gmail account, but it doesn’t recognize me anymore (browser/IP combination?) and prompted me with a security question I set 10+ years ago… I can’t remember the answer since it’s never been requested in recent years.

As my IP should be the same/similar, I’m hoping if I use the same old Chrome version, Gmail will recognize me again.

So is there a way to load the old Chrome directly from the imaged backup?

Also now that I’ve re-installed Windows and resolved the boot error, is there a way to the restore my old system into the new Windows? i.e. a Frankenstein version where the OS is the new Windows, but with my old files, applications etc. directly restored/ported in.

Many thanks for your help, really desperate as I have important stuff in the old Gmail.
you cannot load any applications from image individually, the image file is for major hardware failure. you have to reinstall all the applications again if you don't have the image file. the computer image is just a clone of your hard drive. and for backup. software makers make sure that their software is not cloned and used on othe computers. and only for that computer,the software installed is tied to that particular hardware. you cannot use that windows image saved file for backup and try to resintall in another hardware computer. so if your entire computer is fried like fried motherboard etc...the computer is toast and so is all the software that was installed in that computer. you would have to reinstall all the software applications again in new computer. individually. as part of the software license. you don't own the software.