[SOLVED] Loading programs to RAM automatically so it loads faster?

meraaj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Is it possible to have programs ie Photoshop etc, to load to RAM on startup and stay there permanently so there's no load time when I use it. I have 64GB RAM so space isn't an issue.

Solution
Is it possible to have programs ie Photoshop etc, to load to RAM on startup and stay there permanently so there's no load time when I use it. I have 64GB RAM so space isn't an issue.
What type of drive is it on now?

If a spinning HDD, change that to an SSD.
On my system, Adobe Lightroom takes a whole 3 secs to load, from the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

meraaj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
use a SSD and/or RAMdisk

I've looked up RAM disks and they dont recommend putting photoshop on there.

It's currently on an NVMe (sorry don't know which one). Photoshop takes ~30-40s to load, I know I'm being pedantic about the time but I load it multiple times a day.

Ah dw, I think RAM disks is the best option but isn't worth risking losing data.

Thanks for the reponses though :)

meraaj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
No, I don't have any plug ins, I think. It's probably because the some file sizes are upwards of 1.2GB (I like layers and prefer nondestructive work). But yh, I'll try to not autopilot and close it all the time.