Lock Ups

G

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure if this is where I should be posting about this but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I just put a new computer together last week and everything works fine, except that when I play any type of video file my computer will randomly lock up sometime during playback. I don't know for sure if it happens with many of my games or not since I've only tried Quake 3 so far and that worked fine, played for a couple hours w/ no problems.

My system is a T-bird 850mhz, Abit kt7a mobo, 256megs ram, 3d prophet II MX 32mb dual display vid card. Running Win98se

I've already tried things like installing the latest drivers for video and sound cards, trying different video players, and some other stuff but nothing has helped so far. It doesn't always lock up in the same places everytime. Sometimes it locks up in the first minute, other times it locks up after 5-10 minutes, but it usually happens somewhere around 3-4 minutes of playing.

Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? It's really annoying me, everytime it happens I have to hit reset, ctl-alt-del wont do anything.

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Check your ports and IRQs in system setup... it sounds very much like an internal conflict with accessing the hard-drive/cd-rom drive and the video feed-through. Try to force one IRQ only for VGA. That might help. It would explain why it is not happening in games but only in movies... constant access to the drive/s, unlike games which load into memory and run from there for the most part.

Australian PMs are like steer horns; a point here, a point there, & a heap of bull in the middle.