I have an old machine that is running on win 2000 professional. It was
working fine but now when I start the machine I get this message when I try
to Logon:

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain G27WG is not available"

This is new...and I can't get past this login screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks

"SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an old machine that is running on win 2000 professional. It was
> working fine but now when I start the machine I get this message when I
try
> to Logon:
>
> "The system cannot log you on now because the domain G27WG is not
available"

> This is new...and I can't get past this login screen.
>
> Any ideas how I can fix this?
>
> Thanks

Click the "Options" button, then open the domain drop down box.
You will now have the option to log on to the G27WG domain or
to the local machine. If you do not have a local account/password
then you must get in touch with the administrator of the network
that forms part of the G27WG domain. He/she will be able to assist
you.

Pegasus,

I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a checkbox
to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that is a
stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It won't
let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else can I
do?

Thanks

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have an old machine that is running on win 2000 professional. It was
> > working fine but now when I start the machine I get this message when I
> try
> > to Logon:
> >
> > "The system cannot log you on now because the domain G27WG is not
> available"
> >
> > This is new...and I can't get past this login screen.
> >
> > Any ideas how I can fix this?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Click the "Options" button, then open the domain drop down box.
> You will now have the option to log on to the G27WG domain or
> to the local machine. If you do not have a local account/password
> then you must get in touch with the administrator of the network
> that forms part of the G27WG domain. He/she will be able to assist
> you.

The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?

> Pegasus,
>
> I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a checkbox
> to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that is a
> stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
won't
> let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
> restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else can
> do?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have an old machine that is running on win 2000 professional. It
was
> > > working fine but now when I start the machine I get this message when
> > try
> > > to Logon:
> > >
> > > "The system cannot log you on now because the domain G27WG is not
> > available"
> > >
> > > This is new...and I can't get past this login screen.
> > >
> > > Any ideas how I can fix this?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Click the "Options" button, then open the domain drop down box.
> > You will now have the option to log on to the G27WG domain or
> > to the local machine. If you do not have a local account/password
> > then you must get in touch with the administrator of the network
> > that forms part of the G27WG domain. He/she will be able to assist
> > you.

I have exactly the same problem since a power failure. My machine was mainly
standalone for which I am administrator but it was temporarily part of a
network a few years ago but was being used as a standalone since. I would be
very interested in an answer. At present I am using the same pc but another
HDD with Win98 installed. My OEM windows 2000 cd will not install either on
the new HDD nor will it repair on the HDD with previous win2k installation
because it reports .SIF file corrupted. Therefore I am very interested in the
outcome of this discussion.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
> G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
> connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
> Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
>

> "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Pegasus,
> >
> > I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a checkbox
> > to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that is a
> > stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
> won't
> > let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
> > restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else can
> > do?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was
> > > try

> > > available"

> > > Click the "Options" button, then open the domain drop down box.
> > > You will now have the option to log on to the G27WG domain or
> > > to the local machine. If you do not have a local account/password
> > > then you must get in touch with the administrator of the network
> > > that forms part of the G27WG domain. He/she will be able to assist
> > > you.

Pegasus,

The machine was never really part of network that I know of. I bought it
1998 from a dell outlet store and upgraded in 2001 or 2002 to windows 2000,
which I installed. I had not used the machine in years and just fired it up
yesterday to retrieve some old data that I needed. It was working fine but I
was having problems with Outlook so I installed an old version I had for 1998
and now I get this error message.

Is there anyway to bypass this login screen? I was able to boot the
computer off of a boot disk and get to the dos prompt but I'm not sure what
to do now...

Thanks again for your help.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
> G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
> connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
> Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
>

> "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Pegasus,
> >
> > I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a checkbox
> > to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that is a
> > stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
> won't
> > let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
> > restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else can
> > do?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was
> > > try

> > > available"

> > > Click the "Options" button, then open the domain drop down box.
> > > You will now have the option to log on to the G27WG domain or
> > > to the local machine. If you do not have a local account/password
> > > then you must get in touch with the administrator of the network
> > > that forms part of the G27WG domain. He/she will be able to assist
> > > you.

I'm not sure that your problem is related to the OP's query.
If not then I suggest you start a new thread.

"msmirnova" <msmirnova@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have exactly the same problem since a power failure. My machine was
mainly
> standalone for which I am administrator but it was temporarily part of a
> network a few years ago but was being used as a standalone since. I would
be
> very interested in an answer. At present I am using the same pc but
another
> HDD with Win98 installed. My OEM windows 2000 cd will not install either
on
> the new HDD nor will it repair on the HDD with previous win2k installation
> because it reports .SIF file corrupted. Therefore I am very interested in
the
> outcome of this discussion.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
> > G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
> > connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
> > Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
> >

> > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Pegasus,
> > >
> > > I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a
checkbox
> > > to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that
is a
> > > stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
> > won't
> > > let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
> > > restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else
can
> > > do?
> > >
> > > Thanks

It
> > was

When I buy a new car or a new house then one of the first things
I do is ensure that I have a sufficient number of keys. If I don't
then I have some made.

I never ceases to surprise me how many people get a PC with
a fairly secury operating system who subsequently do not spend
a moment thinking about getting a spare "key". They rely on the
single account they have, and when it fails then they are stuck.
IMHO, every Win2000/XP PC should have at least two admin
accounts, with their passwords locked away. It's common sense.

For those who neglect this simple precaution, Mr. Nordahl
created his somewhat scary boot disk:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

> Pegasus,
>
> The machine was never really part of network that I know of. I bought it
> 1998 from a dell outlet store and upgraded in 2001 or 2002 to windows
2000,
> which I installed. I had not used the machine in years and just fired it
up
> yesterday to retrieve some old data that I needed. It was working fine
but I
> was having problems with Outlook so I installed an old version I had for
1998
> and now I get this error message.
>
> Is there anyway to bypass this login screen? I was able to boot the
> computer off of a boot disk and get to the dos prompt but I'm not sure
what
> to do now...
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
> > G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
> > connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
> > Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
> >

> > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Pegasus,
> > >
> > > I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a
checkbox
> > > to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that
is a
> > > stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
> > won't
> > > let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
> > > restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else
can
> > > do?
> > >
> > > Thanks

It
> > was

Hmmm...well I was hoping for some help on how to solve the problem, instead I
get a lecture, oh well.

I did some trouble shooting online and found that some files that 2000 uses
were overwritten by older versions of the same files after I installed that
old version of outlook so I'll try and repair and replace and hope for the
best.

Thanks anyway.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> When I buy a new car or a new house then one of the first things
> I do is ensure that I have a sufficient number of keys. If I don't
> then I have some made.
>
> I never ceases to surprise me how many people get a PC with
> a fairly secury operating system who subsequently do not spend
> a moment thinking about getting a spare "key". They rely on the
> single account they have, and when it fails then they are stuck.
> IMHO, every Win2000/XP PC should have at least two admin
> accounts, with their passwords locked away. It's common sense.
>
> For those who neglect this simple precaution, Mr. Nordahl
> created his somewhat scary boot disk:
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
>

> "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Pegasus,
> >
> > The machine was never really part of network that I know of. I bought it
> > 1998 from a dell outlet store and upgraded in 2001 or 2002 to windows
> 2000,
> > which I installed. I had not used the machine in years and just fired it
> up
> > yesterday to retrieve some old data that I needed. It was working fine
> but I
> > was having problems with Outlook so I installed an old version I had for
> 1998
> > and now I get this error message.
> >
> > Is there anyway to bypass this login screen? I was able to boot the
> > computer off of a boot disk and get to the dos prompt but I'm not sure
> what
> > to do now...
> >
> > Thanks again for your help.
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
> > > G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
> > > connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
> > > Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
> > >

> > > "SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> checkbox
> is a
> > > won't
> can

> It
> > > was
> when

Attach that drive as a slave on some other boootable machine and
copy/move the data you need.

SonHouse wrote:

> Pegasus,
>
> The machine was never really part of network that I know of. I bought it
> 1998 from a dell outlet store and upgraded in 2001 or 2002 to windows 2000,
> which I installed. I had not used the machine in years and just fired it up
> yesterday to retrieve some old data that I needed. It was working fine but I
> was having problems with Outlook so I installed an old version I had for 1998
> and now I get this error message.
>
> Is there anyway to bypass this login screen? I was able to boot the
> computer off of a boot disk and get to the dos prompt but I'm not sure what
> to do now...
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>>The message "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
>>G27WG is not available" indicates that the machine was at some time
>>connected to a network. What's happened to it since? Who loaded
>>Win2000? When? How did you acquire it?
>>

>>"SonHouse" <SonHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Pegasus,
>>>
>>>I clicked on the options button and the only option it shows is a checkbox
>>>to log on using a dial up connection. This is my home computer that is a
>>>stand alone machine, I am the administrator so I'm kind of stuck. It
>>
>>won't
>>
>>>let me get past this screen, my only other option is to turn it off or
>>>restart. I've tried it in safe mode but same thing happens..what else can

>>>do?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>was

My reply should have helped you in two ways: To avoid making
the same mistake again, and to reset the password for any
Win2000 account. It seems you were miffed at being told
that you may have made a mistake, and you then failed to
use the tool for which I gave you a link. What a pity.