[SOLVED] Logitech G27 static electricity/ mild electric shock ?

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi I have a Logitech g27 racing wheel and when the USB Cable is unplugged from my pc and the wheel is left plugged in there is a lot of static electricity running through the metal parts of the wheel and the USB for the wheel has even given me a mild shock but when the wheel is plugged in to my pc it stops. I can even feel the static with shoes on could it be a grounding issue and could the static be going to ground through my pc. I am really not happy about plugging it in to the pc in case the wheel damages it with me getting shocks from it. my other g27 never did this so would I be right I thinking the wheel is defective and should I send it back to the store?

Solution
Yes - send the racing wheel back.

What you are experiencing is not static electricity. Static electricity is a one "spark/pop" and done until another charge builds up.

In your case, there is a constant current flow which means that electricity is flowing where it should not be flowing. That may or may not be related to a grounding (earthing) problem.,

And that current flow can get worse depending on circumstances. Very likely to cause damage and harm sooner or later.

The wheel must be fixed or replaced with a wheel that does not cause any shocking.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - send the racing wheel back.

What you are experiencing is not static electricity. Static electricity is a one "spark/pop" and done until another charge builds up.

In your case, there is a constant current flow which means that electricity is flowing where it should not be flowing. That may or may not be related to a grounding (earthing) problem.,

And that current flow can get worse depending on circumstances. Very likely to cause damage and harm sooner or later.

The wheel must be fixed or replaced with a wheel that does not cause any shocking.

Solution