Logitech's Wireless, RGB-Lit G900 Chaos Spectrum Gaming Mouse, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykki

Honorable
Ok, I've got an idea.....how about a mouse pad which also doubles as a wire less charger which turns on whenever the mouse battery is low? Now the challenge is making such a charger thin enough.
NOTE = IDK if they already exist.

CraigN

Distinguished
should make a wireless mouse where your hand's heat energy helps charge the battery

Just how would you accomplish this? Besides - if that were possible, you'd just recycle the heat given off by the battery as it expends charge to recharge itself - it'd be a self regenerative system, the heat given off by your hand would be unnecessary.

This would be *nearly* brilliant actually, the only problem is most things need to be stationary to charge wirelessly (moving the mouse would change the electromagnetic field between the mouse and the mosuepad) but that being said, having it charge anytime the mouse is idle would be pretty awesome.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
They've solved all the problems with wireless mice! By making the most annoying problem much worse. Charging the thing all the time is the reason I don't ever want a wireless mouse, having to charge every 24 hours of use is horrible. I don't even want to change the batteries every month or two like you do with a normal wireless mouse.

Neiromaru

Honorable
May 12, 2013
I really wish Logitech would abandon that horrible free spinning scroll wheel thing. I have never found a use for the free spinning mode, and it makes the normal mode feel loose and cheap. I have had two mice with that scroll wheel and both wheels broke long before the rest of the mouse.

It's a total deal breaker for me and as soon as I read that part of the article I lost all interest in any other improvements they may have made.

CraigN

Distinguished

Have you tried the G502? Put hands on one in a store if you have one that has one on display (most Best Buy's do now) The non-free-spinning wheel mode feels really tight on that mouse and it's given me no issues.

For some power users, it's exceptionally handy. I know a few programmer friends who LOVE it for quickly getting through big chunks of code to where they know they wanna go.

Neiromaru

Honorable
May 12, 2013

Have you tried the G502? Put hands on one in a store if you have one that has one on display (most Best Buy's do now) The non-free-spinning wheel mode feels really tight on that mouse and it's given me no issues.

For some power users, it's exceptionally handy. I know a few programmer friends who LOVE it for quickly getting through big chunks of code to where they know they wanna go.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out if I'm in best buy, but for now I have a corsair m90 mouse that I am very happy with.

I've definitely had situations where I've needed to quickly scroll through a lot of text, but I pretty much always find it easier and more accurate to just grab the scroll bar on the side of the page and drag it down to exactly where I need.

CraigN

Distinguished

Wait...you actually drag your hand to the right?

How exhausting! :p Haha. Just kidding. Also, great choice, the M90 is an awesome mouse!

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I have the G502 and had the G500 and the free wheel mode (optional, remember) is amazing for browsing the web and scrolling in some games where the scroll wheel is just too slow. It's a really fantastic system and works amazingly well.
If you don't know what it's for, it's basically for all those times where you'd spend like 5 or 10 seconds grinding away at the scroll wheel, scrolling down or up on a page. You just toggle the free wheel mode and it moves at a much faster and free rate, gives you a broader and faster control, and when you're close to your target, you just toggle it back to the normal wheel and scroll accurately to where you want to be.
The real crime is the mouses with PERMANENT "free" non-clicky wheels. Microsoft has a few, and they are made for people who hat everything that is good and nice.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
What's the point of having a mouse with a latency lower than the latency on your display? Human reaction times for something as simple as pressing a button when you see a light is on the order of 100-150ms. It takes longer than 4ms for the screen to refresh in many displays, certainly it takes longer than 4ms for your brain to interpret what you are looking at or persistence of vision wouldn't function. Seriously, if humans could see down to 4ms, you'd be able to actively count the number of times a florescent light blinks in a single second.

This is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. It's just about the selling the numbers at this point. Nobody wants to hear that $10 wireless mice are faster than your overrated teen aged reflexes. It's like putting a fart can on a rice rocket and pretending you can hang with a Viper.

Worst of all, the freaking charge doesn't even outlast my phone? What a joke.

USB3 for mice? Self-regenerating batteries? Ha! People are just so gullible. Logitech could sell ice to an Eskimo.

envain

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Ok, I've got an idea.....how about a mouse pad which also doubles as a wire less charger which turns on whenever the mouse battery is low? Now the challenge is making such a charger thin enough.
NOTE = IDK if they already exist.

Induction chargers use a little coil to induce a current in the device being charged. You'd either have to have a coil the size of a mousepad to make the whole thing a charger, or you'd have to have a mousepad with a ton of coils in it. Both would be expensive, heavy, would take a crazy amount of power, etc. The only way this would really be practical would be if the pad had a designated spot on it to charge the mouse.

CraigN

Distinguished

Because the amount of movement required to generate enough power to keep a watch ticking is a lot less than the power it takes to power a mouse that's powering a wireless radio trying to communicate with a dongle on a PC once every few milliseconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.