Long-Awaited Windows RT 8.1 Update Lands, Nobody Cares

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
if a tree falls in the forest, it does make a sound. just because nobody is there to hear it doesn't change the fact that it does in fact exist and that it did actually happen.

now, if a man says something and a woman doesn't say "you're wrong", is he still wrong?

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I had a surface RT, it was well made and I really liked it, but it wasn't marketed as a mobile OS clearly, and it fell apart. I sold it the second microsoft said it was basically toast.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Still have a couple family members with RT-based tablets they use for email and web browsing. I suspect they'll continue to do basic tasks like that adequately with or without this update. I would even imagine that you can still enable full-screen start if you so choose, right? After all in Win10 you can fire up a full-screen Start for tablets, or in the case of hybrids you can even (optionally) have it switch automatically between the two as you change modes.

The only thing I wish they would do for RT tablets is backport Edge. It's a lot faster.

alextheblue

Distinguished
MS put the update out in time to compete with the new ipad pro i guess lol
I want what you're smoking. On a related note, I cannot believe that Apple wants so much money for the Pro and its accessories. I mean I know it's Apple but even so! For the cost of an iPad Pro with the stylus and keyboard cover, you can get an i5 Surface Pro 3 with 128GB, keyboard cover, and included stylus. Yikes! Plus the Pro 4 and various other new-gen x86 SP clones are just around the corner.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
why why why did i pick a surface over an ipad for my mother. with microsoft's record of poor support for some of their prodcuts, i should have known better. too bad i was such a hater against apple. an ipad 2 is STILL an excellent product, and she wouldn't have to jump through hoops to get youtube to work.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
why why why did i pick a surface over an ipad for my mother. with microsoft's record of poor support for some of their prodcuts, i should have known better. too bad i was such a hater against apple. an ipad 2 is STILL an excellent product, and she wouldn't have to jump through hoops to get youtube to work.
She would have to jump through hoops just to interface with the thing though.
Want to put some music on your device? Place ticks next to the music you want rather than just dragging and dropping.
Want to carry a file to a mates place using it's internal storage..... Nope.
Apple products are fine if your just going to click on the browser and nothing further, otherwise look elsewhere.

ftw2

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Honestly my iPad 2 is collecting dust. An unusable slow device that is both storage and ram limited that even my children shun.
It didn't start out so useless but it got steadily worse.

I'm sure the surface rt is similarly slow and lousy at this point but the iPad 2 isn't awesome. Plus I remember when Google/apple pulled the youtube app and to be honest it's been years and youtube has never been as good on the iPad as it was originally.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
How can it be long awaited if nobody cares?

Depends on how you read the title. Such as my interpretation: Seth Colaner is nobody... and nobody cares (which is why there is such a lengthy article on it).

What really killed Windows RT, I think, is Windows 8 and Bay Trail Atoms. Once Windows 8 (first without Bing, then with Bing) is installed on Bay Trail Atoms tablet, which is fully x86 and selling on the market for $200-300, there is not point on getting a Windows RT tablet. Now, if you look hard enough on eBay, you can even find those tablets, the lower end ones with 1GB RAM, selling for about $150 brand new.

cheesemanx

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I am probably one of the few that has a Surface RT and love it. The majority of what I do at a computer for work is the web, office documents, and email. The device is extremely portable and has held up to operating at several construction sites (I work in construction so finding a device that doesn't choke on dust like 95% of the laptops on the market is nice).

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
What really killed Windows RT, I think, is Windows 8 and Bay Trail Atoms. Once Windows 8 (first without Bing, then with Bing) is installed on Bay Trail Atoms tablet, which is fully x86 and selling on the market for $200-300, there is not point on getting a Windows RT tablet. Now, if you look hard enough on eBay, you can even find those tablets, the lower end ones with 1GB RAM, selling for about $150 brand new.

for $100 Micro Center sells brand new Winbooks outfitted with 32GB's of storage, Bay Trail Atoms, and 2GB's of RAM.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I am probably one of the few that has a Surface RT and love it. The majority of what I do at a computer for work is the web, office documents, and email. The device is extremely portable and has held up to operating at several construction sites (I work in construction so finding a device that doesn't choke on dust like 95% of the laptops on the market is nice).

Interesting. Have you applied the update yet? Will the Start Menu make you more or less happy, as a user?

cheesemanx

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I will be applying the update this afternoon, I am not sure if I will like the 10 style Start menu as much with the touch screen but when using a mouse it should be better. (The touch screen works awesome for the Window 8 start menu).

That is one of the dumbest questions ever asked. Of course it makes a sound whether people are there or not. If some one plants a bomb in a building and no one is there to hear it does it go boom when it blows up? Does it make a sound, duh! Whats next? The "what came 1st the chicken or the egg" questions? It's the egg by the way laid by the ancestor of the chicken.

The real question is are the 10 people left in the USA still using windows 8.1 that haven't upgraded to Windows 10 interested in this change?

if a tree falls in the forest, it does make a sound. just because nobody is there to hear it doesn't change the fact that it does in fact exist and that it did actually happen.

now, if a man says something and a woman doesn't say "you're wrong", is he still wrong?

I think the way this is usually phrased is "If a man says something and a woman isn't there to hear it is he still wrong?"

RT was DOA the moment Microsoft decided some of their own stuff could not be made compatible with it. In our case, we had a couple RT tablets that were sent back because Microsoft would not make Silverlight (needed for a web application we need) plugin compatible with IE running on RT. All the above made by Microsoft. When a manufacturer decides not to support their own software, what else can one expect? This was way before MS decided to kill RT. Wrote it off and moved on.

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
That is one of the dumbest questions ever asked.....

It's just a simplified Schrödinger clone thought experiment. Unfortunately whoever thought it up didn't consider 'The Internetz!'..... Or that sound (depending on who defines it), does in fact require observation to be classified as sound depending on how anal about definitions you want to be. Otherwise it is just vibrations in the air until observed, but the question is more whether even those vibrations occur without observation...

A much simpler analogy would simply be "Does what is behind you currently exist". You cannot prove something does or doesn't exist without observing it and disturbingly, the act of observing something may even change the state it was originally in.

To use computer games as a frame of reference, who is to say that all assets of the universe are cached at once. You only need the observable assets loaded in memory at any one time for the illusion to be maintained.

"If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

Status
Not open for further replies.