vincentloi

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Ok, I got my copy of Vista Ultimate, installed it on my new SATA drive (didn't work until I realized I had to load those annoying little drivers via floppy drive, wasn't vista supposed to not require that?) and it wouldn't boot, or so I thought. It would go to the loading screen with the little bar at the bottom, and sit there. It turns out it DOES load, but it takes like 3-4 minutes. When it's booted it works great, I've got four gigs of ddr2800 ram and a e6750 on an ECS g33t-m2 (I know, ECS FTL, but I was short on cash, I'll replace it later). I'm using 8400GS video, and it seems to be in working order.

So I got all my drivers installed, everything working well, and I think "ok, it works fine, let's just hope that was a one-time issue" but I've been saying that for two weeks and yet every boot it takes a few minutes, and it's a pain in the ass.

Is this hardware? Software? I have no idea, and all my forum searching has given me no answers. What gets me is that it works so well once it finally does boot (though I haven't really run any new games or something else that would stress it a bit), yet it takes so long.

Help meeee!!

Thanks in advance, guys. I know little of these matters, this is only the second PC I've built

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
3-4 minutes does seem long. What SATA hard drive do you have? Have you done a hard disk benchmark test yet? Try HDTach. It's free.

vincentloi

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I am using "WD 320G/7200/16MB SATA2 3200KS". Since this mother board does not have IDE connection, I suspect that may be the source of problem. Any suggestion?

Omni3

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
OMG I thought this day would never come. I have the EXACT same problem, and it played out almost EXACTLY how you describe.

AND, we also have identical specs except for the video card. g33t-m2 w/ 4 gigs ddr2 800 and an e6750.

So, I'm at a loss, I have the same problem he has, and I have found no solution. I have eliminated RAM (at least I'm pretty sure I have) and I'm pretty sure my proc works fine... so it's either Mobo (I don't know if there's any way a mobo can slow a boot, but in my ignorance I will mention it anyway) and my HD, which also seems to be fine as far as I can tell.

Also, it's probably unrelated, but I have a video issue that seems to be pretty common with vista, where it gives me some crap about the display driver failing and recovering whenever I try to play a game. It blinks out when it does it, the screen goes black, and then it comes back a few seconds later.

*edit* I just went to try HDTach, but it's XP/2000 only, no Vista.

max1ma

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
wow same exact problem here... Had fresh install of vista ultimate. Takes 2 min. at green progress bar with little hard drive activity. Tried reinstalling windows and that didnt work, defrag boot sector also didnt work. I think it is the motherboard. Other than the long loading everything works perfect but it is so annoying

my setup
intel e6750, ecs g33t, 2 gb ddr2 gskill, evga 8800gts sc, x-fi fatalty, seagate 300gb sata hd, 750 watt p.s.

My friends say dump the ecs motherboard