Looking at student laptops I see many under $200, what in this budget line would you recommend?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It's for younger child so doesn't need any fancy features, just be able to browse internet, etc. I see a lot in the $100-$200 range but don't understand the tech behind them. Just looking for one that can do basic stuff and is going to be reliable.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you'd have to link some so we can what specs they offer.

basically as much ram as possible and storage space. they will all have basic cpu's for that price, maybe even a mobile chip from a tablet.but without some models to look at, not sure what you are looking at. general guidance would be as much ram as possible and then the best cpu you can get.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
you'd have to link some so we can what specs they offer.

basically as much ram as possible and storage space. they will all have basic cpu's for that price, maybe even a mobile chip from a tablet.but without some models to look at, not sure what you are looking at. general guidance would be as much ram as possible and then the best cpu you can get.
So is the technology basically the same as for a regular laptop? I was thinking since they have these processors I've never heard of and different configurations that they'd found a way to make a smooth running budget laptop (with 4gb ram) for under $200.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically most students receive chromebooks these days, these can be mobile ARM processors but also will run on typical Intel and AMD hardware. Essentially a browser only based operating system. They are a cheap alternative to x86 based Windows laptops, though you can also get full fat Windows laptops for $200 if you look around.

4GB ram sub-$100 has been possible for a good while now. Most of these use cheap eMMC flash storage that is soldered on. There are no replaceable parts generally.

Chromebook
$50 https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromeb...cuMTEifQ==&sprefix=chromebook,aps,204&sr=8-21

Windows 11 S $179
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...id=&affiliates_ad_id=1167790&campaign_id=9383

Reactions: alphacoyle