[SOLVED] Looking for a laptop for graphic design

Mar 2, 2019
I’m a graphic designer/artist and looking to upgrade from my old ASUS laptop. It bricked after too much use. I use Adobe CC for nearly everything and do a lot of film rendering as well. I also game in my free time. I’m looking for a laptop because it’s lightweight and portable. Someone recommended the Lenovo X1 Extreme. Any thoughts on the specs? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Link to the Lenovo X1 Extreme: lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1

Approximate Purchase Date: This month
Budget Range: 900-1,500 before shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic design/art rendering, running Adobe CC, gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Windows
Preferred Website(s): Amazon, buyer’s website, or anything really.
Parts Preferences: No preference
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or 4k
Additional Comments: None
Why Are You Upgrading: My old ASUS bricked

Last edited:
Solution
You probably wont find a laptop with a 4k lcd under $2k. I can't speak for brands as pretty much every brand i've used had failures after a few years, but I digress. You should look for a i7 8750h/8850h(6 cores), I'd recommend 16gb+ ram as I frequently run out of ram with PS.

Any ssd will work, the performance improvement in applications with m.2 nvme drives versus sata drives isn't worth it if your trading capacity(i.e. 256gb nvme vs 512gb sata). Perhaps look for a laptop with an extra 2.5" bay to add your own hdd/ssd.

A dedicated graphics card like a gtx 1050ti will help in graphic design, though I think I recall something about the gtx 1050 being limited in color accuracy. But at that, budget a gtx 1050ti to gtx 1060 should fit...
You probably wont find a laptop with a 4k lcd under $2k. I can't speak for brands as pretty much every brand i've used had failures after a few years, but I digress. You should look for a i7 8750h/8850h(6 cores), I'd recommend 16gb+ ram as I frequently run out of ram with PS.

Any ssd will work, the performance improvement in applications with m.2 nvme drives versus sata drives isn't worth it if your trading capacity(i.e. 256gb nvme vs 512gb sata). Perhaps look for a laptop with an extra 2.5" bay to add your own hdd/ssd.

A dedicated graphics card like a gtx 1050ti will help in graphic design, though I think I recall something about the gtx 1050 being limited in color accuracy. But at that, budget a gtx 1050ti to gtx 1060 should fit the bill.

Now ,regarding the lenovo, the only model within your budget is using a i5, 8gb ram, 1050ti, and a 256gb sata ssd, its a very sleek laptop, but quite overpriced. The next step up is a bit better, but is $1,600.

As an example on amazon for different brands and specs: Dell, HP, ASUS, ACER, MSI

Bestbuy might have some similar models in store if u have one in ur area, and u wanna check it out in person.

I'll link more if I see any amazing deals

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes, I can vouch for this. I was in the market for a 4K laptop but they were way out of my price range at the time that I bought mine. I eventually had to settle for 1080P but that is a small tradeoff. But I will say that my MSI laptop that I'm currently using has held up surprisingly well over the last couple years. You're probably better looking for a laptop that has a GPU that is capable of 4K output and then buying a 4K monitor. It's an extra expense, I know, but will be far longer lasting than a laptop that has built in 4K.