Looking for a new GPU

michaelheck49

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
Hey all, I currently have a EVGA GTX 960 4GB and I like my card, however, I play on a 2560x1080 monitor and this card just simply can't keep up anymore. I play a lot of wow, destiny 2, witcher 3, GTA 5, and games like that. I want to be able to play on full ultra and atleast get 60 fps. My GPU can't handle wow at high at 60 fps anymore, its always at 100% load to do medium at 60 fps which is disappointing. I've been doing some research, I am not a die hard nvidia or amd guy. I've never had an AMD card before either. I've been looking at an RX 580 from asus:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814126192#close

I've heard that AMD drivers are bad? is that true? And any insight you might have?
I am also wondering if I will be able to play games that I listed at 60 fps no problem. Especially WoW.
I also am looking at a 1070 TI, but I do not want to spend that kind of money right now. Thanks in advance.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

2560 x 1080

witcher 3, gta5, full ultra ~60fps

minimum gtx 1070

gtx 1070 ti sounds about right

this is assuming that your setup is up to par

gojira_shinigami

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
You want max settings at 2560X1080 a 1070 would be a good choice, but bare in mind some games are different and msaa anti aliasing can be quite demanding and you probably wont get 60fps max settings with a 1070 at 1080p resolution. The Witcher 3 can get over 60fps with a 1070 at the resolutin you're playing at, and in regards to the AMD drivers, AMD is notorious for having poor drivers early on in a hardware's initial release, it isn't until about 6 to 12 months that you begin to see the "Age like Fine Wine" term eventually come to fruition with their hardware. That was the case with their recent highly regarded Ryzen CPU hard, and has been the case for a long time, their initial driver support is horrible, but it does improve as time goes by and their performance over the long haul begins to show how impressive their hardware can be, so the Polaris architecture has been out for a while and the performances tend to match what the GTX 1060 can offer with 2 additional GB of Vram to boot.

The only drawback at times to AMD's fine wine compliment is that after about a year or 2 years when you see their hardware begin to shine Nvidia already has something that performs better or on par, with less electricity usage and less heat being produced. Either way if you're on a budget then the 1060 is a solid card and is slightly better than a Gtx 980, and a 580 by AMD is a fine card itself.

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

The card you linked isn't bad but I agree with the others. A 1070 would be the best option. AMD drivers aren't necessarily bad but they can be a bit flaky sometimes.