[SOLVED] Looking for a New PSU ( 650w-850w) System Info/Budget provided

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, my current PSU - EVGA BQ 750W Bronze+ which had problems from almost day one ( ticking fan noise, especially under load) died?! My bro was playing the game when he heard fans go full speed and then silence, soon after PC shutdown and burning smell. I checked and PSU fan isn't spinning no more, i can boot do BIOS, but that's all. Windows can't fully boot, i get screen flashes and glitches. I believe PSU is the problem, could be HDD as well,because i was getting frequent prompts from Windows 10 to disk check, i was getting errors time to time, but wasn't able to fix them fully. i reinstalled windows couple times and it would fix the problem for a short period of time, but that's a different story.( I'm going to change Storage as well)

So here's the system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3FNK3

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

My budget for PSU is under 80$, and i want a PSU that is trusted and good, which won't die like my previous one. Reccomended PSU for RX 580 is 500watts , i know there is a PSU tier list , but i can't understand anything there. I think this system will be OK with PSU 650w+ I sorted PSU-s under my preferences on PCPartpicker (5 stars, gold+ standard, and sorted by price) if there are any good ones among them please tell me https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#R=5&e=4&A=650000000000,2000000000000&sort=price

Last edited:
Solution
650w is more than enough. 550w if a very good psu, is plenty for a small 10th Gen cpu and Rx580.

Half the problem is it was a BQ. Those units were not designed or intended for gaming loads, they make excellent office psus as a stock replacement, but their topology isn't very good for the instant high demand amperage that a high draw gpu like the 580 can demand.

Just like 'Lite' and 'Gaming' don't belong in the same descriptive sentence for any other component.

In your list, that 5star is somewhat misleading. Simply because it's user based and most users are still under the impressions that Gold is better, or High wattage means better. Using your current psu with a pc that's only pulling 250w max should always have excellent results...

Lutfij

Titan
Seasonic and Corsair are good brands to look into. You could also take a look at this unit;
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bq...ied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpg-a650gf
which has been reviewed by Aris(he reviews PSU's on our site) and his YT channel.

As for your current PSU's predicament, what likely happened was that the PSU was on it's way out due to bad quality internals(EVGA tend to have hit or miss units in even their cream of the crop lineup of units) that might've been exaggerated with dust build up inside the PSU, leading to bad thermals and stressed internals of said PSU.

Reactions: Bach0

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
650w is more than enough. 550w if a very good psu, is plenty for a small 10th Gen cpu and Rx580.

Half the problem is it was a BQ. Those units were not designed or intended for gaming loads, they make excellent office psus as a stock replacement, but their topology isn't very good for the instant high demand amperage that a high draw gpu like the 580 can demand.

Just like 'Lite' and 'Gaming' don't belong in the same descriptive sentence for any other component.

In your list, that 5star is somewhat misleading. Simply because it's user based and most users are still under the impressions that Gold is better, or High wattage means better. Using your current psu with a pc that's only pulling 250w max should always have excellent results and be trouble free, so rate 5star, but that same psu with a 500w draw is not going to be as lucky.

On your list is a mix. Some are very good-excellent like the Corsair RMx or Seasonic Prime or Leadex III units, some are very decent, like Antec High Current Gamer or Evga GA/G5-6 or Seasonic Focus+ or Corsair RM or Thermaltake Tough Power, and some are quite decent like Evga G1+ etc. For the beQuiet, the gaming units are the DarkPower, the office use are Pure/Straight Power.

A Corsair RMx, Seasonic Prime or Leadex III would be my first choice (Asus Thor is also Seasonic Prime base) , a Seasonic Focus+ based unit, Corsair RM, Evga G6 or Dark Power would be a close second if the price was really healthy.

If I was going to settle for a Gold unit, that is, personally I'll never use anything less than Platinum again.

Reactions: Bach0
Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Seasonic and Corsair are good brands to look into. You could also take a look at this unit;
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bq...ied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpg-a650gf
which has been reviewed by Aris(he reviews PSU's on our site) and his YT channel.

Thanks for your suggestions, i quickly looked up Seasonic and Corsair PUS-s, but gold rated ones are all above 100$ unfortunately, i'll keep MSI one in mind thou

On your list is a mix. Some are very good-excellent like the Corsair RMx or Seasonic Prime or Leadex III units, some are very decent, like Antec High Current Gamer or Evga GA/G5-6 or Seasonic Focus+ or Corsair RM or Thermaltake Tough Power, and some are quite decent like Evga G1+ etc. For the beQuiet, the gaming units are the DarkPower, the office use are Pure/Straight Power.

A Corsair RMx, Seasonic Prime or Leadex III would be my first choice (Asus Thor is also Seasonic Prime base) , a Seasonic Focus+ based unit, Corsair RM, Evga G6 or Dark Power would be a close second if the price was really healthy.
Thanks for replying, i looked up every brand you mentioned, most are out of my budget range,but some fit good like Evga GA 60$, EVGA G5 60$ AND EVGA G6 75$ all are 650w. Leadex iii is on sale for 94$ but sale ends in 12 hours on Newegg and price is high as well. Out of every model EVGA has most high ratings, but when i search the webb people call them trash PSU-s. I don't know what to believe or do

I would ignore gold/silver/bronze ratings as a selection criteria.
A quality psu is a long term investment.
Your 10400 processor can handle a much stronger graphics card.
Here is a handy sizing chart for various possible graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Usually, the incremental cost for 650w to 750w, and even 850w is not great.

Opinions vary on psu quality, but if you can find one with a 7 to 10 year warranty, you will likely get a good unit.
I really think your budget should be more like $120; consider the $40 as cheap insurance

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Out of every model EVGA has most high ratings, but when i search the webb people call them trash PSU-s. I don't know what to believe or do
"And that is why you fail" Yoda.

Can't go by Brand as the entire umbrella. No one brand has all one standard or better, even Seasonic. Evga covers the entire spectrum, from the abysmal W1/N1 to the excellent G2/G6 (Leadex II/III) , and everywhere in between. What's most important, is the Model. Even with Corsair, which has world-wide circulation and brand recognition, there's the VS/CX-M on the low end, totally not 'gaming' worthy, to the RMx/HX/AX which are 'gaming' superstars.

So if you see comments like "Evga is Trash" take it with a grain of salt, or 3. And figure the author was an idiot, clueless, biased or ignorant since Evga has some of the highest ranked components from psu's to motherboards to gpus.