Looking for advice on a career path

Cotton512

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Hi, I'm interested in going back to school and starting a career in IT. I find myself pulled toward more of the hardware side of PC's. I've built a few computers over the last 10 years. I've always been interested on how it all works. Any tips on specific degrees I should pursue to stay in line with something of this sort? Thanks!

matt

Ralston18

Titan
Age old trade-offs: experience vs education vs enviromental skill demands.

Take a look at the "help wanted" ads for your area and/or other areas where you would like to work.

Learn about the IT skills currently being sought. You may not need a degree per se, perhaps some interim certifications would be enough.

PC hardware is a possible path and probably a good entry level start. Long-term not likely to be particularily good for professional growth and more lucrative opportunities via advancement. Management and communciation skills will be a "must".

You may already have a skill set that can get your foot into the "proverbial door".

Potential employers are looking for reliable, honest, trustworthy employees who can communicate at all levels, work in a team environment, show up on time, stay out of trouble, be willing to take on greater burdens. (True for most jobs - not just IT.)

Assess your skills, background, education, and experience. Honestly match those skills to what you read in ads with respect to job requirements.

Most job requirements are written very broadly. Doing so allows the potential employer some leeway or options with respect to hiring or not hiring any given individual.

Apply for a few opportunities that offer you the chance to work on PC's. Get some interviews, learn about the hiring process and from the process as you go through the steps. Be aware that the job may require you to do other things: e.g., Helpdesk support, midnight/weekend installs. Grunt work.

Things are changing very rapidly - IT included. There are many factors involved so you truly must look ahead. Security is a well-known well stated concern. For the future VR and AR are coming - game changers in themselves and not only with respect to the recreational aspects.

With any luck you may find a fitting position with a company that might even help with the cost of continuing education programs. (Degrees and/or certifications.)

Just start going for it.

Cotton512

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give me some foresight into this endeavor of mine. Looking around the forums I've noticed a lot of scars from the tech bubble and housing crisis. Degrees aren't as useful as they were once deemed to be. However, I will continue to pursue something in this field. Everything about it is very interesting to me and would love to learn more. Thanks again for the response.