[SOLVED] Looking for advice...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
So I am thinking of getting these fans. I am wondering if 1100rpm is enough and if they're compatible. My full system is below:
Ryzen 5 2600X
GTX 1660 ti Palit Storm OC 6GB
Asrock B450M PRO4-f
16gb of 3200ddr4 ram
1tb Harddrive

Solution
You have a Ryzen. It's not an intel. It doesn't respond, work, act like an intel. So everything you've become accustomed to with Intel thinking, you can throw out the window.

Ryzens work best on Balanced power plan. That's direct from AMD, they even got together with Microsoft and created a Ryzen Master Balanced solution, so either that or Balanced is what's needed to be used. Ryzens have their own performance boosting, PBO, so do not need windows to add to that, in fact it interferes with how Ryzens work, especially concerning idle voltages and core usage.

Yes, you can put fans in front. It may require removal of the front facia to do so.

Utilization is pretty useless. It's not how much of the cpu potential is used, it's how much...

Luke2323

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Yes, I am using the Windows High Power thing. Is this bad? Should I turn it off?
With side panel playing Apex Legends at everything max (which I don't usually do)
1st round: CPU was at about 75 the whole time except during launch when it was at 80 degrees/GPU at about 70/CPU utilization was only about 30%/GPU utilization was at 100%
2nd round: Basically the same
I will do without the side panel later since I am a bit busy rn

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a Ryzen. It's not an intel. It doesn't respond, work, act like an intel. So everything you've become accustomed to with Intel thinking, you can throw out the window.

Ryzens work best on Balanced power plan. That's direct from AMD, they even got together with Microsoft and created a Ryzen Master Balanced solution, so either that or Balanced is what's needed to be used. Ryzens have their own performance boosting, PBO, so do not need windows to add to that, in fact it interferes with how Ryzens work, especially concerning idle voltages and core usage.

Yes, you can put fans in front. It may require removal of the front facia to do so.

Utilization is pretty useless. It's not how much of the cpu potential is used, it's how much resources the cpu uses to process whatever its working on. It's like putting a nail in a piece of trim wood, you'd not need to use a sledgehammer, just a small hammer, but you'd still put it in as fast as you can, but not use the full strength of your arm no matter how fast you swing.

Reactions: Gfost73
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Changing modes will allow the case to run cooler in normal-light operations, idle etc. Won't affect heavy gaming loads. It's sorta like there's an invisible line drawn with the cpu cooler, how much of it is affected by case temps. Cross that line and case temps become almost irrelevant and it's all on cpu output instead. That's where a better cooler comes into play. Most ppl with decent airflow operate from @ 25°C - 100°C, but there's 2 ranges. From 0°C to @ 40°C, that's case temp affected. From @ 40°C to 100°C, that's cpu affected temps.

You are starting out with temps already in the 40's for case temps, so your case affected temps will be closer to 40°C to 50°C. It's only after supplying a sufficient load on the cpu that it'll affect, so @ 50°C to 100°C. A significantly smaller Delta.

If you can't drop case temps, your idle-mid load temps will always run kinda high, until you cross the line, then load temps will be cpu bound. Pushing gaming loads on a mediocre to miserable stock cooler is always going to get high temps regardless of airflow or case ambient temps.

You need airflow and cooling ability to balance both. The purpose of removing the side panel is to allow air to reach the coolers easily, and easy exhaust. The case ambient temps, since it's now open air, not an enclosed box, are your room temps. A good 10°C or better drop. This will allow air to go to the gpu/cpu unimpeded by the solid case. Basically shows what sufficient airflow will do for all the temp ranges.