Looking for best GPU for my PC

Coffeeislife

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
So I've had my PC for about a year and I think it's definitely time to upgrade my graphics card for gaming/streaming and I was hoping to get steered in the right direction for the best performance for my dollar. I did a bit of research and what I'm leaning toward and interested in at the moment is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.
More specifically I was looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418205511&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+gtx+970+acx

What I don't understand is the different acronyms on the several different price boxes, I'm guessing SC is superclocked? What is the difference between REF and FTW?

Is this the best card for my computer and if it is, which is the best variation of the card? Also, will my power supply support this card?

Budgeting 450$ or less

Current PC Specs:
i7-4770 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
1TB HD
Coolermaster Seidon 120M water cooler
MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel motherboard
Thermaltake Smart Series 650W Bronze Power Supply

Current GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

SproutSchon

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Best GTX 970 for your buck:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

The Gigabyte performs slightly better (we are talking fraction of frame per second) and will OC a bit better.
The MSI is the quietest model ever (I have this one, with a Fractal Design R4 case, it is super silent).

So it is up to your priority, but to me there is no need to buy a 400$-450$ model. Put your savings into something else.
FTW means for the win (allegedly best OC settings) but it is more a marketing argument (wooooot I got a 10,000 dpi gaming mouse) targeting not so educated people who are willing to pay a price premium for no good reason.

Coffeeislife

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Interesting thanks for the informative response, one more question so for someone who doesn't know how to OC a card is it best if I buy one OC'd already or attempt to do it myself?

Jefffritz12

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
If you really are unsure about Over Clocking their are tons of informative guides here on toms hardware but you can also look online for videos on how to do so. If you still are uncertain you can purchase a OC'd card online for a bit more money than other cards.

SproutSchon

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
OCing a GPU is super easy, you can do it through a simple soft like MSI Afterburner.
But it can be long to optimize.
Jefffritz is right, google some guide online and check for yourself.

Factory OC or doing it yourself is similar.
Rebranded OCed card can be better as they select the GPU that are OCable within certain range.
The ones I recommend are already OCed above stock ones but you can push them a bit further yourself.
How much will depend on the specific product you will get hence a bit of a lottery.