Looking for correct RAM sticks to add to current ones.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
In four sticks of RAMs, should tRAS, the fourth value in timing, match for all four sticks of RAM for stability of a system? Or does it even matter? Thanks in advance.

Solution

I would suggest that, if you want 4 sticks of ram to work together, your best chance of success it to buy a matched kit with 4 sticks in it. Even 2 matched kits of two sticks each are not guaranteed to work together. A matched set of ram IS guaranteed to work together.

Yes. Even then, there are NO guarantees for un-matched ram working together. That is why they sell matched kits.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Thanks for your answers, again, clarkjd. I appreciate that. My current two RAMs are 1600 MHz DDR3s at 11-11-11-28. But, ones I found on Newegg, that came closest to it, had 11-11-11-30 timing. Should I go with them, at all? Is it even worth considering the purchase? Thank you.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I see you meant to say, 'no' to my question. I get it now and thanks for your answer.
I didn't understand what "matched kits" meant. I suppose this means for my system is that if I would upgrade my RAM amounts, I would have to buy a whole new set of 4 or 2 sticks that are labeled "matched kits" ONLY?

As long as you can return them if they don't work, There would be no harm in trying them. you could get lucky.

Personally, I would attempt this ONLY if I could return the new ram. Otherwise, it's a NOGO as far as I am concerned.

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Great answer, clarkjd. Thanks for your recommendation. That was a great help. Really appreciated.
My current sticks are from Samsung and the ones I've been considering are from Corsair. If I were to try the Corsair with return policy, guaranteed, would you buy them to try? Considering voltages and all variables being equal, clarkjd? I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions.

I would suggest that, if you want 4 sticks of ram to work together, your best chance of success it to buy a matched kit with 4 sticks in it. Even 2 matched kits of two sticks each are not guaranteed to work together. A matched set of ram IS guaranteed to work together.

Solution

sungsean

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Thanks again for very clear answer, clarkjd. I really appreiate it.
I understand that I would always have to go with matched set of sticks, if I want a very stable system.
Thanks again and have a great weekend.
Hope to chat with you again.