Looking for gaming PC help, pre-builds and DIY.

michaelstephen1992

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
I recently bought a PC from fierce.co.uk, the brand is exile, CPU AMD Athlon X4 880k Quad 4 GHZ, RAM 16 GB, GPU NVIDIA 1050TI 4GB. I'm thinking of returning it because my CPU usage is going to %100 at times and also the disk is doing the same. My room feels very warm and the top of the case but the sides seem cool. I was wondering if for the price of £800 could I buy a better pc and where from and I'd also take into consideration building my own but I have no experience but would be willing to give it a try. Advice would be great because I don't know much at all but I'm a quick learner.

Solution
I'm more familiar with $ than £. But that sounds like more than enough to build a nice gaming PC. Basically, it is a matter of 8 or 9 components:
Case, Motherboard, CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, Gfx card, Drive(s), O.S. (assuming you already have a monitor, KB, mouse)
Yes, you can do better than the pre-built you bought. Here is one I put together for $661 (~£500, I think)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm more familiar with $ than £. But that sounds like more than enough to build a nice gaming PC. Basically, it is a matter of 8 or 9 components:
Case, Motherboard, CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, Gfx card, Drive(s), O.S. (assuming you already have a monitor, KB, mouse)
Yes, you can do better than the pre-built you bought. Here is one I put together for $661 (~£500, I think)

Solution

michaelstephen1992

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

What is the CPU like on that build? What games do you play?

Do you know if any options that are around £700, maybe a better CPU?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I built it mainly for resale. I ran some benchmarks but did not do any actual gaming. I'm selling it as new. It got a 2600+ score on Time Spy. But the CPU is way more than needed for the 1050 Ti. The i3-8100 won't bottleneck a 1060 6GB or RX-580.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I wasn't offering my machine for sale to you in GB (?), just using it as an example of what can be had for under $700 USD. In fact, I believe I specified US sales only. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

As to your current system, I suspect the 860K is maxed out in multiplayer gaming. Especially on busy servers with lots of players. The 1050 Ti is a solid 1080p/60Hz card using high settings in most games. Medium in the most graphically demanding.
The 860K is a low IPC processor by today's standards. Unfortunately, that may be the max CPU your board will support. So upgrading it is probably not an option.