Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have ATI 4850 1GB x2 in Xfire atm, I want to do an upgrade since one of the cards are starting to fail. starting to get pixels after hours of gaming.
I have Core 2 Quad Q6600 running at stock speed, I'm not sure if the current GFX cards will bottleneck with this CPU I got here. Any suggestions which one will run best? (budget 100-300 GBP from UK ^^)
Thanks

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
700W X-Power ATX SLI PSU is my current PSU, my CPU is running at 30 degrees celcius at stock speed as well. I don't think overclocking to 3 ghz is a problem.
My case fans running at min speed, temps for GFX cards are 40, and 56 at load.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You have a lot of potential in your machine. The Q6600 is very overclockable.

All that said, I would look hard at your PSU. If it isn't providing consistent power to your GPUs you will see the sorts of issues (and with heat as well) you are experiencing. For SLI and CF, I recommend Seasonic PSUs. Very stable, very reliable, but can get pricy. However, you get what you pay for. But with all of the holiday sales, you might find a good on for a song.

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I think I would have to get a better cooling for my CPU, gonna cost quite a lot. I was thinking replacing both of the GFX cards, and place one of them in my 2nd rig. PSU and Cooling would cost round 200 if I were to get good ones. 100 left for GFX card, a bit low on budget hehe

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If your case will support it, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ performs better than many (most) more expensive HSFs and is very reasonable on the wallet. Don't skimp on the PSU. Get a good one that you won't have to worry about.

On the GPU front, I would suggest the same 6850 that mrjericho1991 suggested. Great cost/performance ratio and can do quite nicely in CF.

Since you are in the UK, do have a preferred on-line ordering source?

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I would prefer to buy from amazon.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk maybe even dabs.co.uk

From the Hyper 212+, how much can I possibly overclock? I haven't been overclocking my hardware for quite some time now. I was thinking overclocking to 4 ghz but that sounds a bit insane.

6850 in Xfire sounds good. but heat maybe a problem, since I got HAF 922 case with 6 fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS