Looking for Nvidia 6800 or greater, for AGP

technoman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003
I'm looking for a graphics card that is an Nvidia 6800 or better, that works with AGP 4x, and has at least 128 MB. Yes, my PC is pretty old. I was looking to play the game, Supreme Commander, and it says the minimum requirements are: Nvidia 6800. Can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
By all accounts, Supreme Commander is extremely hardware intensive... I highly doubt you'd have a positive experience playing on a 6800 class card. Since you've already said you have an old system, I don't think any of the cards suggested are going to yield a positive outcome.

Here's what I think will happen... you'll buy one of those AGP cards, throw it in, install the game, realize the performance sucks, want to upgrade the rest of your rig, but you'll realize that you're stuck with an AGP card that limits pretty much every valid upgrade path.

Caveat emptor!

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
those are good choices for AGP cards, but i think rodney_ws is mostly right.

but, if you really wanna save some money, i've got an EVGA 6800 GS superclocked AGP, i'll sell it REALLY CHEAP! :lol:

dezert_eagle323

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
7950gt if u need 4x . . x1950xt for 8x . . but yea u mite as well switch to pci-e if ur gonna spend that much money on an agp card . . agp is goin stone age

PGHammer

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
7950gt if u need 4x . . x1950xt for 8x . . but yea u mite as well switch to pci-e if ur gonna spend that much money on an agp card . . agp is goin stone age

The problem is not AGP, but that more and more games are CPU-intensive, and the only CPUs capable of running them decently require PCIe graphics. (The ASRock motherboards which support C2D and AGP 8x, while certainly inexpensive enough, all have VIA chipsets, and VIA is considered *third-tier* as far as performance goes.) To add insult to injury, the fastest AGP part from any nV AIB is based on the 7950 GT, which is getting consistently hammered by not just the ATI X1950 Pro/XT, but even the X1650XT. The sixty-four knut question is: can you wait a month? (At that time, the first ATI AIB DX 10 AGP parts should be arriving in retail/e-tail.)