Build Advice Looking for opinions on case fans

NaSMaX

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
Choosing between be quiet! Silent Wings 4 120mm PWM and ARCTIC P12 Max. The Arctic is about $10 on amazon and the be quiet is $18 (I'm getting 3 of each). I been reading reviews and looking at vids all night (thank you insomnia) and I've narrowed it down to these two (Noctura is just too out of my way budget wise) so I'm coming here for a little advice. A LOT of people give grace to Arctic but also a lot of reviewers give to be quiet. I'm running a 7900 xtx so I know its going to be louder on both but I'm trying to measure performance in comparison to noise. ANY advice would be appreciated, going to try to go back to sleep now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would lean towards the Arctic, about the cheapest ball bearing fan on the market.

Thermalright TL-B12 is slightly cheaper, but has a little less airflow potential and likely wouldn't last quite as long.

NaSMaX

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
I would lean towards the Arctic, about the cheapest ball bearing fan on the market.

Thermalright TL-B12 is slightly cheaper, but has a little less airflow potential and likely wouldn't last quite as long.
Ball bearing is important? Sorry I legit do not know.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sleeve bearing, basically just a shaft in a hole with some lubricant. These are the cheap ones. They perform worse in the vertical installation, which is common in PCs.

Ball bearing, dual ball bearing means the shaft has no effective load on it, the weight of the fan rides on the ball bearings. These can last a good while before failure.

Fluid Dynamic bearing, an advanced sleeve bearing. Grooves in the shaft/casing create a pumping action which pressurizes the lubricant and prevents the shaft from coming in contact with the casing. Only real wear and tear comes when the fan stops and the early start up.

(That Thermalright fan uses that, but not sure they are the best quality. They are basically fighting a price war with the world and winning)

Magnetic bearings basically is a contact less system. Theoretically could last forever. Haven't seen one in a while though. I think RGB and fan controllers have mostly taken over the high end fan market.

Reactions: NaSMaX and Paperdoc