Question looking for suggestions on semi new build

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hi everyone, im finally in the market to upgrade my CPU/MOBO and put my good old reliable overclocked I5-2500K to retirement, and im looking for suggestions on the build im considering

Im wanting to downsize the size of my computer to a micro ATX build, as i dont really require all the extra slots that an ATX motherboard offeres, plus I travel with my computer frequently enough to want something a little lighter and easier to pack up then a 23 LB rosewill blackhawk. Trying to keep the budget under $1400 if i can, but im a flexible

I primarily game at 1440P on an ultrawide. I may also use the rig for rendering in the future, and possibly streaming as well.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MQv8Bb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MQv8Bb/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($525.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($175.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($134.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($96.20 @ Newegg)
Total: $1322.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-01 16:56 EST-0500

I know the I9-9900K is overkill, but it fits in the budget, and i imagine ill have this CPU/MOBO setup for at least as many years as i did my previous setup, so why not go all out.

Ill be bringing my corsair RM750I, MSI GTX 980TI, corsair MX500 1TB SSD over from my old computer, my friend also gave me a 32GB 4X8GB 2666 RAM kit he had from upgrading. The new drives will be to replace my harddrives, and ill be installing windows on the M.2 drive.

My questions
  1. using the cooler/case i selected, will I have issues upgrading to say a 2080TI in the future? ive already done the math on my current card and should have no problems. Or should i just go with the smaller X42 instead to avoid future problems?
  2. I dont know to much about these M.2 drives, is this the best option? or should I go with a samsung 860 EVO or something instead? I would like it to still be 1TB
  3. Any other case recommendations? from the research I did, it was between the define mini C TG and the Phanteks evolv mATX, also briefly considered the NZXT H400I. I dont want a cube case.
  4. my old rig had windows 7, upgraded to 10, I no longer have the old disk/case, so I dont have my windows Key. Will this be a problem when installing a fresh windows 10 install on the new computer? How should I proceed?
  5. Any other recommendation/tips?