[SOLVED] Looking specifically for "(1)" (or duplicate) files... search failed...

Benedictus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
So, I tried to find specifically "(1)" files (files with (1) in them), or duplicate files, but Windows does not seem to accept the brackets.

Any idea how to do this search?
I have a lot of these right now, too many to go through manually...

Thank you.
Ben

Solution
Robocopy is a Windows utility where you can create a script to do data copies, mirrors, backups, etc. It's built into Windows and if you have a talent for understanding it, not too hard to utilize. There are a couple of console apps you can DL that will allow you to "checkbox" what you want done and it writes the script for you to use. I used it to mirror some drives between 3 locations for a long time. I stumbled through getting the thing right a bit, lol.

Once again though, I am not certain it would consider something named in the (1) (2) copy sequence would be considered duplicate?

Ralston18

Titan
Consider Powershell.

Example references:

https://www.pdq.com/blog/powershell-searching-through-files-for-matching-strings/

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-grep/

You can google for other similar links. Then as you read and learn revise the search criteria as necessary for your requirements.

May be a bit more complicated with you having many such "(1)" files and perhaps scattered over a number of folders/subfolders.

Changing file names and using wildcards can result in unexpected consequences. So be careful.

Set up a copy of the real folder to experiment on.

Be sure that all files are backed up, proven recoverable and readable. Preferably off of the current host system.

Reactions: Benedictus

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In my own experience with a similar situation, it's probably best just to take the time to delete and curate your data by hand and as you go.
I attempted to use a program that would eliminate duplicate files and folders on my A/V collection some years ago. It messed things up SO badly that I ended up having to delete and re-populate from a backup.

To me it's just easiest to open each folder and sub-directory and use the ctrl function to go down the list selecting things to delete. It take a bit but gets done correctly that way.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Robocopy is a Windows utility where you can create a script to do data copies, mirrors, backups, etc. It's built into Windows and if you have a talent for understanding it, not too hard to utilize. There are a couple of console apps you can DL that will allow you to "checkbox" what you want done and it writes the script for you to use. I used it to mirror some drives between 3 locations for a long time. I stumbled through getting the thing right a bit, lol.

Once again though, I am not certain it would consider something named in the (1) (2) copy sequence would be considered duplicate?

Solution

Benedictus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Robocopy...
If you download files that you already seem to have (like for instance Skyrim mods, or other game mods, to name one thing) then the PC does not tell you that you already have the bloody file.
So, let's say we have: Legacy of the Dragonborn-11802-5-4-5-1609978124.7z from nexus.
Now, and I am not kidding, the complete Legacy quest has TONS of files.
Eventually I get to ones I am not sure that I have it or not, and DL it to be sure.
If I have the file, the new file STILL gets downloaded, but named Legacy of the Dragonborn-11802-5-4-5-1609978124.7z(1).7z
As you can see, there are more than one 1 in the file name (no idea who the idiot was to put such numbers in the end of the file name), so, when I do a search for (1) the damn PC looks for... a 1... without the ( ).

Now, if i could look for all files containing SPECIFICALLY (1) in the file names... my problems would be gone...

Strange, they made so many wild cards, but more than half seem not to work.
Even stranger that File Explorer refuses to use the ( ) in the damn search... :(

How do I call on RobotCopy?
And where can I find the best, most complete info on the RC?

Thank you very much, sir...

Benedictus

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
FINALLY!!!!!

I found it, about time, dammit.

It is NOT name:"(3)" or such (thus, not "name:. " but "FILEname:"(3)".
It's been too long that I used this command, I was sure that I had it with "name: "...
Just remembered the darn "FILE" part...

Thank you all.
Ben

EDIT:
OUCH!!
Over 4000 duplicates found...
Deleting them will save up 300GB... O_O

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
All in all it boils down to being able to parse filenames.

Specifically filenames containing "(1)".

Find/identify particular filenames, change/rename those filenames as strings, and save the end results.

Once the filename is found, apply the change, and "save as" again.

Without irrevocably losing any files (aka data).

@Benedictus

Just for the record , post what you found and what you did.

TRENDING THREADS