[SOLVED] Looking to improve my Packard Bell L5800 AIO - CPU & SSD

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hello all.

This is an old all-in-one PC but it's great as a second, casual-use PC. Man, it's sloooow, tho', taking ages to boot up and for the desktop to become operational even tho' I keep installed programs to a minimum. The HDD seems to be quietly tinkling away for ages, and a factory restore did pretty much nothing to help.

Soooo, I'm looking to do some cheap upgrade tweaks. I think an SSD will have the greatest effect but I'd also like to slightly upgrade the CPU too since they are cheap.

It currently has 4GB of RAM, and I can't see boosting this to 8GB as being cost effective as it only has 2 slots (I think) so the 2x4GB sticks of new RAM would likely would cost more than a 250GB SSD, and since it only has to run Word and a web browser most of the time I doubt it's worth it?

The current CPU is an i3 540 3.07GHz which is an LGA 1156 socket. My initial research suggests an i5 680 could be significantly better and should be a straight fit. I'm happy to consider this as they are cheap 2nd-hand. Is there any way an i5 750 or 760 would also fit - they are so much cheaper than the 600's for some reason?! (The sockets are the same, but they don't come up on compatible lists for some reason).

What about the Xeon such as L3480 - any chance that would work?

I think an SSD will make the most significant improvement, tho' - can anyone point me to the best (ie simplest...) cloning software, and is there a mug's guide on how to use it anywhere?

Many thanks for any advice.

Solution
Well if this is "Correct", you might be able to upgrade to i5 660 (not sure if its normal version or the M version of the CPU.
About other CPUs? I have no idea. Somebody has to confirm it or try it on your own.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Packard-oneTwo-L5800/33782

Also SSD is very good upgrade over the old HDD which is pretty old if Im not mistaken.
One of Admins (As I dont not know or ever tried cloning HDD) might help you as @USAFRet
Well if this is "Correct", you might be able to upgrade to i5 660 (not sure if its normal version or the M version of the CPU.
About other CPUs? I have no idea. Somebody has to confirm it or try it on your own.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Packard-oneTwo-L5800/33782

Also SSD is very good upgrade over the old HDD which is pretty old if Im not mistaken.
One of Admins (As I dont not know or ever tried cloning HDD) might help you as @USAFRet

Reactions: Frooby
Solution

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Update: I first updated my Win 7 to 10, asking it to wipe all my files and apps in the process - this, itself, make a noticeable difference. I then bought a new 250GB SSD and used Macrium to clone the cleaned-up HDD on to it - I had a USB connecting kit for this.

The SSD fired up with no issues the very first time it replaced the old HDD, and the difference in boot-up speed is wonderful. (I was surprised to find that the HDD in my all-in-one was a full-sized 3.5" jobbie, so the tiny SSD looked lost in the space. I simply used strong double-sided tape to secure the SSD, and I'm sure it'll be fine :) )

I then picked up 4GB (2x2GB) sticks of memory for less than a £enner, and popped that in too to double what was already there.

I'm not going to bother fitting a faster CPU as what I have now is more than I need - it boots up to a working desktop in something like 15-odd seconds, and since I won't be loading this PC up with loads of apps and files, it should stay like that.

Really pleased by how simple and effective these upgrades were.

Thank you, Rthe5th.

Jan 17, 2020
Update: I first updated my Win 7 to 10, asking it to wipe all my files and apps in the process - this, itself, make a noticeable difference. I then bought a new 250GB SSD and used Macrium to clone the cleaned-up HDD on to it - I had a USB connecting kit for this.

The SSD fired up with no issues the very first time it replaced the old HDD, and the difference in boot-up speed is wonderful. (I was surprised to find that the HDD in my all-in-one was a full-sized 3.5" jobbie, so the tiny SSD looked lost in the space. I simply used strong double-sided tape to secure the SSD, and I'm sure it'll be fine :) )

I then picked up 4GB (2x2GB) sticks of memory for less than a £enner, and popped that in too to double what was already there.

I'm not going to bother fitting a faster CPU as what I have now is more than I need - it boots up to a working desktop in something like 15-odd seconds, and since I won't be loading this PC up with loads of apps and files, it should stay like that.

Really pleased by how simple and effective these upgrades were.

Thank you, Rthe5th.
Hi there Rthe5th - I read your post this week and was really inspired to take the same action in my mum’s old L5800 which I bought for her back in 2010!
I promptly jumped on the internet and ordered 2x4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD which I’ve just cloned my original HDD to.
With all that said, I’m now struggling like mad to get the back off this thing!! I don’t have an original instruction manual so have used my initiative, taking the black outer shells off, unscrewing the fixing screws and even popping the stand off the back with a spanner. I’ve then used a knife to try to ‘gently’ prise the bezel away but it remains stuck!! Any tips would be massively appreciated!!
Cheers,
Stu

Reactions: Frooby

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi there Rthe5th - I read your post this week and was really inspired to take the same action in my mum’s old L5800 which I bought for her back in 2010!
I promptly jumped on the internet and ordered 2x4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD which I’ve just cloned my original HDD to.
With all that said, I’m now struggling like mad to get the back off this thing!! I don’t have an original instruction manual so have used my initiative, taking the black outer shells off, unscrewing the fixing screws and even popping the stand off the back with a spanner. I’ve then used a knife to try to ‘gently’ prise the bezel away but it remains stuck!! Any tips would be massively appreciated!!
Cheers,
Stu

Aaaargh, Stupier - really sorry I didn't get notification of your reply. This will obviously come far too late for you, but perhaps it'll help others :-(

I did a full account of this on here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...removing-back-cover-packard-bell-onetwo-l5800