[SOLVED] Looking To Replace, Not Many Options - Can You Assist With Compatibility Concern?

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
The new board I'm looking at is an Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151. Upgrading from a noise-producing Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi-CF. On PC Part Picker however, it's warning me that it might not be compatible with my 9900K out of the box. That's the only CPU I have access to, physically or financially at the moment.

I've never really updated a BIOS before. Would this mean if I require the update it speaks of, I'd need to boot it with a different CPU first? Thanks for your time.

Potential Issues / Incompatibilities
  • Warning!The Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version 2203. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

Solution
Right, I understand that. Dumbing it down to my level a bit though, perhaps I phrased it poorly.

We're assuming the BIOS doesn't come with an up to date version. I'm asking if I'd need a different CPU installed (and/or SSD that boots to windows) where I'll be able to download and install some BIOS updating "file" (?) of which I have zero knowledge, experience or understanding of in order to achieve this.

How do I do the thing?
In short, if MB has no option (check manual) to update BIOS without CPU installed, you will need a compatible CPU installed.
BIOS update is done with detailed instructions in MB manual. It all starts with downloading proper (most of times newest) BIOS file from MB's manufacturer, unzip and place file on...
The new board I'm looking at is an Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151. Upgrading from a noise-producing Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro Wifi-CF. On PC Part Picker however, it's warning me that it might not be compatible with my 9900K out of the box. That's the only CPU I have access to, physically or financially at the moment.

I've never really updated a BIOS before. Would this mean if I require the update it speaks of, I'd need to boot it with a different CPU first? Thanks for your time.

Potential Issues / Incompatibilities
  • Warning!The Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor with BIOS version 2203. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
The answer is right there, you need to know which BIOS version is.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
The answer is right there, you need to know which BIOS version is.

Right, I understand that. Dumbing it down to my level a bit though, perhaps I phrased it poorly.

We're assuming the BIOS doesn't come with an up to date version. I'm asking if I'd need a different CPU installed (and/or SSD that boots to windows) where I'll be able to download and install some BIOS updating "file" (?) of which I have zero knowledge, experience or understanding of in order to achieve this.

How do I do the thing?

How do I do the thing?
In short, if MB has no option (check manual) to update BIOS without CPU installed, you will need a compatible CPU installed.
BIOS update is done with detailed instructions in MB manual. It all starts with downloading proper (most of times newest) BIOS file from MB's manufacturer, unzip and place file on a USB stick, enter BIOS chose BIOS flashing function, point it to that file and and let it finish. Switch CPU and it should work.
Again read and follow MB instructions to a T or you can brick the board. Otherwise it's quite safe and takes few minutes.

Solution