Looking to upgrade, but what?

stell4r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello guys,

Looking to possibly upgrade my system. I mostly play wow, overwatch, and other AAA titles as they come. I just got a 1440p Asus ROG swift gsync 144hz monitor which has been awesome, but Ive noticed my current card cant seem to produce 144fps in wow in leigon(the new ultra settings are intensive). I drop down to 30-50 fps in areas where, i feel I shouldnt be dropping down to.I remember MMO's are mostly CPU, so im trying to figure out how to get a nice 144fps ultra wow set up and if its even worth it/noticeable

My current rig:
i5-4670 3.5ghz (corsair i60 heatsink)
asus 970 gtx 4gb
asus Z87I-PRO
16gb 1600mhz ddr3 gskil
256 kingston SSD
650w evga bronze PSU
coolmaster HAF

I was considering selling my video card to someone, and buying the 1070/1080... I just dont know if my other components are limiting me currently. I am willing to upgrade whatever to attain a smooth experience.

thanks guys !

Solution
I think you have a solid build there, also, the CPU is strong and nice to handle almost any game at today.

But, i think here you're limited by your monitor (resolution) and the frecuency of refresh. a GTX 1070/1080 will be a great GPU upgrade.
I think you have a solid build there, also, the CPU is strong and nice to handle almost any game at today.

But, i think here you're limited by your monitor (resolution) and the frecuency of refresh. a GTX 1070/1080 will be a great GPU upgrade.

Solution

stell4r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
So I won't gain anything from a new motherboard, cpu and ram? Given that wow is a cpu heavy game? I'll get a 1080 gtx tomorrow if that's the case. Also, should I stay away from the reference models? Or pay the bit extra for superclocked

There are might be some CPU intensive games that will be limited by CPU.
if you had a K CPU which can be overclocked to over 4GHz, it would be fine for GTX 1070 + 1440p.
But i'm not sure regarding i5 at 3.5GHz.
Simple solution, get the GTX 1070 and you can check the GPU utilization with Precision/Afterburner or whatever. If GPU utilization goes significantly below 90% while CPU is close to 100%, you can start think on upgrading other parts of your system.
Anyway, I'd wait for the next gen CPUs to be released. Next year intel will be releasing 10nm processors with optane support - worth to wait.

stell4r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
So, Today I bought a new PSU evga 750 gold modular and a Gigabyte g1 windforce 1080. I have seen other benchmarks with 1080s... mine seem to be a bit lower, e.g Wow, on max I used to get 40 fps, now im getting anywhere from 100-60. What ive seen the 1080 do in major cities is more like 140-150 fps. Am I really losing THAT much from my board+cpu? There seems to be a considerable disparity in those numbers. Also, the board I have is an asus 885m-g it still uses PCI-e3.0 though. If I need to get a mobo/cpu/ram deal I will. my goal here is to hit high maintainable frames for this 144hz monitor.