[SOLVED] Looking to Upgrade from GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Apr 10, 2020
Hello All,

I am sure this question has come up many times due to everyone having to work from home for the next few months, but I am looking into upgrading my PC and not having much luck with finding the correct parts. I use my PC for everything (work, media, & gaming) and looking to have a better gaming experience. I have no issues running the smaller games but i have serious frame issues for the bigger, more popular games. I want to be able to run the bigger games with no stuttering issues and would like some help on what would be best. I also use an Oculus Rift S, but that seems to be running very well on this PC.

My build is:
Intel Core i5-7500 CPU, 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
corsair cx750m power supply
Installed RAM - 8.0 GB
2 Monitors - ACER 1920-1080 , 144hz

My budget would be around $500-$600
So far i have been told to only upgrade my graphics card and that would fix my issues but i wanted to reach out to everyone here for more advice.
Please let me know if you need any more information/specs
I do not have much knowledge in this area and i appreciate all the help!

Solution
U can also add another 8 gb system ram, which comes in handy when u want to run something more, and situationally can help the video card. This mobo goes well with speed 2400. As for motherboard compatibility, I wouldn't worry, even if I put a RTX Titan. If the computer case is fine with the video card size, the mobo is, too. This is relatively new system. The stronger video cards usually can benefit well with larger monitor sizes, but u also have 144 hz. Faster gddr5x and gddr6-memory video cards feel good anyway, and u will feel good, especially if sometime u take bigger-resolution monitor /+- higher refresh . Depending on the games u play and number of processes u use at once, an i7 CPU (8-threader) like i7 7700k or non-k may...
At least 8 gb video card - for example rtx 2060 super or gtx 1080. The best possible 8 gb nvidia one is 2080 super. 11 gb-nvidia ones (gtx 1080 ti/rtx 2080 ti) cost more, there may be cheaper used ones . Or radeon equivalent. If u take used card, keep in mind such powerful cards are a bit too liked for their mining capabilities sometimes.

Reactions: Olivae1012
Apr 10, 2020
At least 8 gb video card - for example rtx 2060 super or gtx 1080. The best possible 8 gb nvidia one is 2080 super. 11 gb-nvidia ones (gtx 1080 ti/rtx 2080 ti) cost more, there may be cheaper used ones . Or radeon equivalent. If u take used card, keep in mind such powerful cards are a bit too liked for their mining capabilities sometimes.

Thank you very much for your reply! I appreciate the help. So i really just need a change in graphics card and that would fix most of the issues i am having? Of course i need that to be compatible with my MOBO (Gigabyte B250M-DS3H)

U can also add another 8 gb system ram, which comes in handy when u want to run something more, and situationally can help the video card. This mobo goes well with speed 2400. As for motherboard compatibility, I wouldn't worry, even if I put a RTX Titan. If the computer case is fine with the video card size, the mobo is, too. This is relatively new system. The stronger video cards usually can benefit well with larger monitor sizes, but u also have 144 hz. Faster gddr5x and gddr6-memory video cards feel good anyway, and u will feel good, especially if sometime u take bigger-resolution monitor /+- higher refresh . Depending on the games u play and number of processes u use at once, an i7 CPU (8-threader) like i7 7700k or non-k may improve performance, too.

In total, for less than 700 dollars, u may get a pretty good video (at least a gtx 1080) and get another 8 gigs system ram, at least. I dunno the cpu and the other prices where u live.
Just some samples:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=RTX+2070+Super&ref=nb_sb_noss
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/gigabyte/ga-b250m-ds3h

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 10, 2020
Hello All,

I am sure this question has come up many times due to everyone having to work from home for the next few months, but I am looking into upgrading my PC and not having much luck with finding the correct parts. I use my PC for everything (work, media, & gaming) and looking to have a better gaming experience. I have no issues running the smaller games but i have serious frame issues for the bigger, more popular games. I want to be able to run the bigger games with no stuttering issues and would like some help on what would be best. I also use an Oculus Rift S, but that seems to be running very well on this PC.

My build is:
Intel Core i5-7500 CPU, 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
corsair cx750m power supply
Installed RAM - 8.0 GB
2 Monitors - ACER 1920-1080 , 144hz

My budget would be around $500-$600
So far i have been told to only upgrade my graphics card and that would fix my issues but i wanted to reach out to everyone here for more advice.
Please let me know if you need any more information/specs
I do not have much knowledge in this area and i appreciate all the help!
For that money you could get an RTX 2070 Super, which is a very solid 1440p@60 card (and it's good for high refresh rate 1080p gaming, too) but it will be heavily bottlenecked by your CPU, check this out.

If I were you, I'd save some more money and upgrade the CPU, too.
I don't know where you're from, but if you live near a microcenter maybe you can find some good deals for a Ryzen 5 3600 and a B450 motherboard.

Yep, the 2070 super is really good. I already gave him a link that also has cheaper ones, probably this is the current top for the cash he said as 2080/2080 super/ti are more pricy and maybe a bit too op for his current system.
Pls fully ignore this bottleneck calculator, it is really useless to trust this bottleneck-calc site, sometimes totally not having anything to do with the reality. There cannot be a real bottleneck calculator. Also the term bottlenecking is a bit just something relative, ofc a better cpu can set things higher. And I already said - more threads, more capability, but this really depends on the game and processes. Higher cache and frequency always come good, but always with higher price, too.
If wanting to wait and saving money, well - I guess he wouldn't wait till he gets a i9-9900k+ 2080 ti + 32 gb ram-2666. I guess his patience and income will tell him what to do the best.

Currently the best idea seems - + 8 gb ram -> 2070 super -> here can wait &save -> i7-7700 (if not 7700k)
Even the strongest world cpu is just a brother of 7700k

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS