Looking to upgrade to new CPU to pair with 1070

jmflu

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
So I have been using this setup with a really old Intel Motherboard with an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I got a 1070 a while back to upgrade old GPU but I feel this CPU is starting to show its age especially in gaming feel like I'm getting bottlenecked. Or kind of CPU lagging while doing multiple things.

So I am looking to replace everything but the GPU. I haven't been following CPUs at all lately so what do you think would be a good upgrade to the i5-3570k setup I have now?

**What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.**

I do a lot of video editing, and a lot of gaming.

**If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)**

Would like 4k/60 but likely have to aim for 1440p/60 with 1070 right?

**What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?**

$300-$400 on CPU. Already have 1070 and not enough money to upgrade 1070.

Solution
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

Your current CPU may be looking a little dated, but it's still rated in the same tier as the newest Intel & AMD chips. Since you're already overclocking your i5, chances are pretty good that your board will support an i7-3770K (essentially a 4C/8T version of your i5), which would give you the extra threads you'd want for video editing. Only problem is going to be finding one for under $400.

By the same token, whether you're getting a new Intel or AMD system, you'll probably want to go for the 6C/12T or 8C/16T systems...& with the price of the Coffee Lake i7 chips or the Zen+ line, you're going to be well over your $400 max budget with just a new CPU, motherboard, & 16GB of...

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

Answer is obvious, either Ryzen 2 2600/2700 or i7 8700 series.

jmflu

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012

And Ram right?

So I guess the bigger question is, how much of an upgrade are these new CPUs to my old one?

Because I'll have to spend a decent amount of money and I am willing but I want to make sure it would be a significant upgrade

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

With Ryzen 2 and its new benchmarks I think it is more than a worthy upgrade. I upgraded just before Ryzen 2 launched so I have a i7 8700K and 16 GB of RAM, soon to be 32, I am enjoying it. But you need to calculate your own budget mate, I cannot do that for you.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

Your current CPU may be looking a little dated, but it's still rated in the same tier as the newest Intel & AMD chips. Since you're already overclocking your i5, chances are pretty good that your board will support an i7-3770K (essentially a 4C/8T version of your i5), which would give you the extra threads you'd want for video editing. Only problem is going to be finding one for under $400.

By the same token, whether you're getting a new Intel or AMD system, you'll probably want to go for the 6C/12T or 8C/16T systems...& with the price of the Coffee Lake i7 chips or the Zen+ line, you're going to be well over your $400 max budget with just a new CPU, motherboard, & 16GB of DDR4-3000 RAM (roughly about $500, ballpark).

Solution