Question Lose WIFI -Goes on and off

BOB1901

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I have a NIGHT HAWK RAX45-firmware ver V1.0.16.132, it is 4-5 years old. About a few weeks ago the signal started to buffer a great deal. My wife's phone call started dropping or she could not hear the other person on the live in seconds. We needed WIFI calling enabled because our cell signal is not very good here. Now some times of the day the wifi goes on and off. I have my desktop connected to the router by cable and have never experienced it going out. So I believe the problem is with the wifi. How do I test it if possible being it only happens now and then?

Testing random wifi issues is always a massive challenge.

What I would first do is the standard try other radio channels. Try to set the 2.4 and 5 ssid different so you can force which band it uses. 5 tends to be faster but less stable because the signal does not propagate through walls is easily.

This likely is interference from one of your neighbors.

There is the rare chance that the wifi chip in the router is going bad but that is rather uncommon. I was rather surprised that the router is wifi6 when you said it was almost 5yrs old. Time sure goes by fast.