Question New keyboard suggestion

Frigozzo

Reputable
Jul 22, 2021
Hi i wanted to buy a new keybord, but i have no idea what i should pick.
I was looking for a mechanical keybord with rgb, that can be regulated and selected through a program, and if possible with one usb port on it. Also i don't wanna spend too much, let's say my budget is 50 euros, 60 max. Later on i'm gonna buy a new mouse so i would like to go for a brand that makes good gaming mouses too, so i can pair them. Does someone have any suggstions?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hi i wanted to buy a new keybord, but i have no idea what i should pick.
Since choosing a KB is personal choice, it is impossible to tell which one to go for. Especially regarding mechanical KBs, since they have different switch types to choose from, with vastly different feel, articulation force (e.g how hard you need to press the keys) and there are also tactile switches (tactile bump during key press) and also loud "click" switches.

I was looking for a mechanical keybord with rgb, that can be regulated and selected through a program, and if possible with one usb port on it.
All that is doable and from the top of my mind, mechanical KBs with USB passthrough, are:
Corsair Strafe RGB
Corsair Strafe RGB Mk.II
Corsair K100 RGB

All 3x KBs i also have. Mk.II is my missus'es KB while K100 is the upgrade for my Strafe. The two Strafe KB i have, have Cherry MX Silent switches, while the K100 has Corsair OPX (optical-mechanical) switches.

While all these KBs do offer solid build quality, plethora of software customization via Corsair iCUE software, per key RGB lighting and also USB passthrough, they also cost A LOT.

Price wise, i payed:
€178 for my Strafe in 2017.
€184 for my Strafe Mk.II in 2019.
€316 for my K100 in 2023.

Corsair Strafe and Strafe Mk.II are EOL as of now. But if you can find one sale somewhere, great. While K100 is way out of your budget + then some. K100 is flagship KB from Corsair as of right now.

But if you end up with Corsair KB, then their mice selection is also good. I also have used several different Corsair mice over the years, while as of right now, i'm using Corsair Nightsword RGB (specs) alongside other Corsair peripherals (e.g headset).

Also i don't wanna spend too much, let's say my budget is 50 euros, 60 max.
Looks like you've greatly underestimated what good, mechanical KB costs. Especially if you want software control and USB passthrough.

At your current budget, essentially only option is Endorfy Thock TLK Blue,
specs: https://endorfy.com/en/product/thock-tkl-blue/
amazon: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BHDST4WY

It isn't full-sized KB. It doesn't have USB passthrough. But it is mechanical with some software control and RGB. Key switch type is Kalih Blue, so it will "click" loudly.

For other options, well, all others are way out of your budget,
pcpp: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/keyboard/#k=1&t=1&sort=price&b=46&n=0

My best advice; go to any PC hardware store and actually test out the display models offered, to get the feel of different key switch types.
E.g on paper, Cherry MX Brown sounded nice to me, but on the spot, trying it out, i didn't like it at all. Instead, Cherry MX Red had the best feel for my preferences.
Or buy the key switch tester, to try many of them out,
amazon de: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CHERRY-MX-EXPERIENCE-BOX-Mechanical/dp/B0CC2WZLQ3/

Once you've found out what type of mechanical switch you do like, then you can start researching KBs that have that switch type.

I actually doesn't advise to buy the Endorfy at €55. I think you'd be disappointed in it quite a bit. Blue key switch types are very loud and only few people like them, mostly writers/typists. But for gamers, that loud clicking gets annoying - fast. For you and for everyone around you.

Good brands regarding KB and mice, are Corsair and Logitech. But i'd avoid Razer completely, since Razer hardware is plagued by all sorts of issues.

Frigozzo

Reputable
Jul 22, 2021
Since choosing a KB is personal choice, it is impossible to tell which one to go for. Especially regarding mechanical KBs, since they have different switch types to choose from, with vastly different feel, articulation force (e.g how hard you need to press the keys) and there are also tactile switches (tactile bump during key press) and also loud "click" switches.

All that is doable and from the top of my mind, mechanical KBs with USB passthrough, are:
Corsair Strafe RGB
Corsair Strafe RGB Mk.II
Corsair K100 RGB

All 3x KBs i also have. Mk.II is my missus'es KB while K100 is the upgrade for my Strafe. The two Strafe KB i have, have Cherry MX Silent switches, while the K100 has Corsair OPX (optical-mechanical) switches.

While all these KBs do offer solid build quality, plethora of software customization via Corsair iCUE software, per key RGB lighting and also USB passthrough, they also cost A LOT.

Price wise, i payed:
€178 for my Strafe in 2017.
€184 for my Strafe Mk.II in 2019.
€316 for my K100 in 2023.

Corsair Strafe and Strafe Mk.II are EOL as of now. But if you can find one sale somewhere, great. While K100 is way out of your budget + then some. K100 is flagship KB from Corsair as of right now.

But if you end up with Corsair KB, then their mice selection is also good. I also have used several different Corsair mice over the years, while as of right now, i'm using Corsair Nightsword RGB (specs) alongside other Corsair peripherals (e.g headset).

Looks like you've greatly underestimated what good, mechanical KB costs. Especially if you want software control and USB passthrough.

At your current budget, essentially only option is Endorfy Thock TLK Blue,
specs: https://endorfy.com/en/product/thock-tkl-blue/
amazon: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BHDST4WY

It isn't full-sized KB. It doesn't have USB passthrough. But it is mechanical with some software control and RGB. Key switch type is Kalih Blue, so it will "click" loudly.

For other options, well, all others are way out of your budget,
pcpp: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/keyboard/#k=1&t=1&sort=price&b=46&n=0

My best advice; go to any PC hardware store and actually test out the display models offered, to get the feel of different key switch types.
E.g on paper, Cherry MX Brown sounded nice to me, but on the spot, trying it out, i didn't like it at all. Instead, Cherry MX Red had the best feel for my preferences.
Or buy the key switch tester, to try many of them out,
amazon de: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/CHERRY-MX-EXPERIENCE-BOX-Mechanical/dp/B0CC2WZLQ3/

Once you've found out what type of mechanical switch you do like, then you can start researching KBs that have that switch type.

I actually doesn't advise to buy the Endorfy at €55. I think you'd be disappointed in it quite a bit. Blue key switch types are very loud and only few people like them, mostly writers/typists. But for gamers, that loud clicking gets annoying - fast. For you and for everyone around you.

Good brands regarding KB and mice, are Corsair and Logitech. But i'd avoid Razer completely, since Razer hardware is plagued by all sorts of issues.
But i feel like those are very high-end kb, for example trust kb are not that expensive and actually stay in my price range, at worst they go over by 10-15 euros. And they have software control, altough no usb port. Or i found a logitech g413 at 60 euros which a friend of mine has and i actually tried and i liked it. So i don't think it's impossible to find one around that price range that fits the paramaters. I can even overlook the usb port it just would have been nice to have but it's not a dealbreaker

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But i feel like those are very high-end kb
Back in the day, Corsair Strafe RGB was actually mid-tier regarding mechanical KBs. Back then, Corsair K95 was high-end.
But yes, Corsair K100 is high-end right now.

Or i found a logitech g413 at 60 euros which a friend of mine has and i actually tried and i liked it.
No RGB (only single color) with this one and no software control either, hence why cheaper price. Key switches are tactile, just like Cherry MX Brown is. Tactile is love or hate.
Specs: https://www.logitechg.com/en-eu/pro...1dR5pbkRJLhOC-Am7fhkzI3V8W7P_fsZZtacSCoXZx6xD

for example trust kb are not that expensive and actually stay in my price range, at worst they go over by 10-15 euros.
Yes, but with cheap price, you will not get what you're looking for.

E.g none of the Trust mechanical KBs have software control with them. And none are "true" RGB either. At most, you can choose between 6 different backlight colors, but there is no individual key light control, as it is with e.g Corsair RGB KBs.
Lineup: https://www.trust.com/en/gaming/keyboard?filter=380

So i don't think it's impossible to find one around that price range that fits the paramaters.
Thing is, if you want software control (e.g create macros, rebind keys etc), you'd need dedicated software for KB. Such mechanical KBs cost quite a bit, since price also includes developing and maintaining said software. Easy €100 for such KB. More like €150-€200.

Your best bet, getting mid-tier KB with all the features you like and at cheap price, would be looking at 2nd hand market. Since what you want and what are you willing to pay for, are two completely different things.
If you want good and cheap KB, you have to buy two KBs: the cheap one and the good one.

Before i bought my 1st mechanical KB (Corsair Strafe RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches), i was using cheap €10 membrane KB with PS/2 port. No backlight, no software control, no nothing. It just worked.
So, did research mechanical KBs, switch types, tested out several in store (display units) and decided that when buying mechanical KB, it is better to buy proper one off the bat, rather than half-baked cheap KB, that produces issues down the line.
Sure, forking out €178 for my KB back in 2017 was a lot (especially since i was using €10 KB before that), but now, years later, i'm pleased that i bought a proper KB, exactly suiting my needs + then some. E.g i even haven't explored the macros i can do with my KB. Maybe one day, if i need it.

I'm not saying that you have to buy €100+ KB. I'm just warning you that when you do go with cheap mechanical KB and get disappointed in it, don't write off all mechanical KBs due to that. It just turned out as a bad purchase.