Losing my mind...

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Well first let me give you my Specs: " Just built"

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz (CPUZ shows it Conroe)
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
G Card: GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

My issue is when im playing games sometimes I will get "Game" has had an error an needs to shutdown sorry for your incon. When I play Lord of the Rings online It will freeze my comp an ill have to restart. Now at first I thought it was heat. But I have 2 rear fans, an exsaust fan under the 8800gts, and a front & side fan. Odd thing is my MB is running hotter then my CPU. Im useing stock CPU cooler btw. Nothing is OCed. I have the newest version of mobo BIOS. Newest Vid Card & Chip set Drivers. The strange thing is it seems so speratic, sometimes it will run games for hours, then every 2min it will crash them.

I would be glad to hear any ideas you guys may have. I just want my system stable, I spent alot of cash for this an its driving me crazy. Thanks for any help in adv.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
If you're sure your PSU is ok, you might check the temps on the northbridge. I've seen many reports of temp related NB issues. Some of the more resourceful here have had good results directing a dedicated fan at or directly on the northbridge heatsink. Under load, that chip can get extremely hot.

Im useing stock CPU cooler btw
Also, you might consider a better aftermarket CPU cooler.

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Well I can unplug all my fans an stuff when I get home to lower power usage an put a strong desk fan blowing in side of case to test it. But from my PC probe II the power has been very steady.

It also shows my CPU idel around 42c, under load it gets up to about 48-49c.

I can get thro a full 3dmark06 no problem. 8500ish. Just games, it seems.

rustymind

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
your cpu temp seems to be okay, check for chipset temp, usually the same as mb temp. mine can't get past 43. you could use pc wizard 2007, or your mobo utility software to monitor your temp.

rustymind

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
sorry for double posting, forgot to mention, u could loop 3dmark to at least one hour for testing.
quoted from 3dguru, link "http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/428/6/"
What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load?:

* bad 3D performance
* crashing games
* spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
* freezes during gameplay
* PSU overload can cause it to break down

just realizes there's a edit button.. :oops: