[SOLVED] Lots of freezes and stutters when playing games, mostly Fortnite

Mar 20, 2020
Hi. I posted this thread because I don't really understand what's going on with my gaming experience. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 mounted on a A320M-K Prime motherboard, 8 gb of RAM single-channel and a GTX 1650S. As you can see in the title, a lot of my games have freezes and stutters and the one that I'm having the most problems with is Fortnite. I've seen the use of gpu and cpu and none of them are at 100% nor even close to it, ram isn't being fully used too and temperatures are okay. This mostly happens when I first enter a game and load into a map but is it normal to happen several times over several games? I don't know if the problem is the ram being single-channel or if it's another problem. Also, the stuttering happens a lot when I move the mouse. Sometimes it's a stutter that takes less than a second and others it's a freeze that takes 2-3 seconds. Putting Fortnite on DX12 seemed to lessen this problem but sometimes it still happens.

Solution
It does, and can significantly impact performance.
Single channel USED to be just fine - 10 years ago, people couldn't find a difference between single and dual channel in games. That's since changed.
You're also pushing the limit with just 8GBs. The system becomes sluggish as the memory use continues to climb past ~75%.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is this a fresh build, or an upgrade?
If it was an upgrade, did you reinstall Windows? If you did not, then you need to do so.

Single channel is hurting performance. That kind of config doesn't cut it anymore.

Motherboard drivers have been updated too?

Mar 20, 2020
Is this a fresh build, or an upgrade?
If it was an upgrade, did you reinstall Windows? If you did not, then you need to do so.
It was an upgrade and no, I haven't reinstalled it yet.
Does the ram being in single-channel disturbs the performance a lot?
I have updated all my drivers before changing cpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Single channel USED to be just fine - 10 years ago, people couldn't find a difference between single and dual channel in games. That's since changed.
You're also pushing the limit with just 8GBs. The system becomes sluggish as the memory use continues to climb past ~75%.

Solution
Mar 20, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I played Anthem again yesterday and honestly, there were a lot of stutters. When I first started the game, cpu usage was at 90+% but then, after a while, dropped to 40's %. Gpu was at 40's% and Ram was always above 6500MB (mostly above 7500 MB). I use Razer Cortex to free more RAM so that the game can use it's necessary memory. But for some reason, there were a lot of stutters going on. The rendering of "high detailed" textures happens after a few seconds. Does RAM in dual-channel mode solve this problem and the stutters?
I think it's important for me to state that in RivaTuner, I locked the fps to 75

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at whole cpu usage is the wrong way to go about it. There are multiple cores/threads, so you have to look at each one.
The lack of memory bandwidth will cause the cpu to choke when it needs it the most.

You seem adamant about changing the ram, even though it's not the first time you've been told it's a problem.

Reactions: Kelzetre
Mar 20, 2020
Looking at whole cpu usage is the wrong way to go about it. There are multiple cores/threads, so you have to look at each one.
The lack of memory bandwidth will cause the cpu to choke when it needs it the most.

You seem adamant about changing the ram, even though it's not the first time you've been told it's a problem.
Oh no, I don't feel adamant about it. I was planning to do so but I want to be fully sure that it will improve things.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A checklist of sorts:
-Cpu and gpu temps are good?
-Dual channel memory?
-Power supply is good?
-Windows is up to date? A reinstall is recommended after a major hardware change, especially the motherboard, as the OS doesn't reliably update it's drivers for the new hardware.
-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Gpu drivers? It's not unheard of for a brand new driver to be broken, or break your system. Using an older driver may fix things until the new one is hotfixed.
-PC is clean of viruses/malware?
-If monitor does not have any kind of adaptive sync feature, is V-sync being used?
-If using a multi-monitor setup, do the monitors have the same native refresh?

Mar 20, 2020
A checklist of sorts:
-Cpu and gpu temps are good?
-Dual channel memory?
-Power supply is good?
-Windows is up to date? A reinstall is recommended after a major hardware change, especially the motherboard, as the OS doesn't reliably update it's drivers for the new hardware.
-Motherboard drivers up to date?
-Gpu drivers? It's not unheard of for a brand new driver to be broken, or break your system. Using an older driver may fix things until the new one is hotfixed.
-PC is clean of viruses/malware?
-If monitor does not have any kind of adaptive sync feature, is V-sync being used?
-If using a multi-monitor setup, do the monitors have the same native refresh?
  • Temps are good
  • Single-Channel
  • Power Supply is nice
  • Windows was updated just yesterday (couldn't reinstall it though)
  • Motherboard drivers are up to date I think, I'll check after
  • GPU drivers are good
  • Yep, no viruses
  • V-Sync isn't being used
  • I don't use more than one monitor

king1of2patti3

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Hi. I posted this thread because I don't really understand what's going on with my gaming experience. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 mounted on a A320M-K Prime motherboard, 8 gb of RAM single-channel and a GTX 1650S. As you can see in the title, a lot of my games have freezes and stutters and the one that I'm having the most problems with is Fortnite. I've seen the use of gpu and cpu and none of them are at 100% nor even close to it, ram isn't being fully used too and temperatures are okay. This mostly happens when I first enter a game and load into a map but is it normal to happen several times over several games? I don't know if the problem is the ram being single-channel or if it's another problem. Also, the stuttering happens a lot when I move the mouse. Sometimes it's a stutter that takes less than a second and others it's a freeze that takes 2-3 seconds. Putting Fortnite on DX12 seemed to lessen this problem but sometimes it still happens.
i have used single channel 8gb ddr 3 ram on my i5-2300 and gtx 750ti there is no shutter in the fortnite i used 900p with most settings medium-high.i think maybe you need to check the disk usage i mean hdd.If you have ssd try to install games on ssd and try again.Can you tell me full specs of pc

Mar 20, 2020
i have used single channel 8gb ddr 3 ram on my i5-2300 and gtx 750ti there is no shutter in the fortnite i used 900p with most settings medium-high.i think maybe you need to check the disk usage i mean hdd.If you have ssd try to install games on ssd and try again.Can you tell me full specs of pc
From what I've seen, Intel doesn't benefit as much as Ryzen from Dual-Channel Ram. I think it becomes necessary to use dual-channel on Ryzen cpu's. Intel cpu's from the 2nd Gen won't benefit as much or even at all from dual-channel from what I've seen. I don't think it's the HDD usage, it's never at 100%. On my first post, there're my specs