Question Lots of odd issues with my PC, should I RMA the motherboard ?

Jul 20, 2024
Extremely long story short.

I couldn't get the darn system (with all brand new parts) to boot at all for a long time. After a ridiculous amount of troubleshooting, I finally "fixed" it, or so I believed. For some insane reason the fix was mounting my GPU horizontally as opposed to vertically (removing my riser cable in the process). That solved it...

But a few days later I realized I can only boot if the system is off. If I try to restart the computer with the button in the Windows start menu or the reset button on my case, it fails every time. 5 beeps from the post speaker thing, which is a GPU issue.

Now I don't know what to do. Everything works perfectly right now, except I can't restart and I'm scared to mount it vertically just to have it start bugging out again (I bought a new riser, still in the box).

Also, I tried a different GPU (2060) with the same riser cable and same motherboard and it still failed.
I thought that indicated an issue with the riser cable but now I'm thinking it's the board.

RMA or no? I would just accept things but the inability to restart makes it impossible to update Windows. And it's screaming at me.

Some specs
MBD: EVGA Z690 Classified
CPU: 13700KF
GPU: 7900 XT
PSU: 1200W
custom loop
and more than enough drive storage.

thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Silverstone Hela 1200r
On 1st glance, it looks like good PSU, but deep dive into reputable review;
link: https://hwbusters.com/psus/silverstone-hela-1200r-platinum-psu-review/

And we learn that it falls short on Hold Up time. Having only 15.3ms, while minimum spec is at least 17ms. (For comparison, my Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TD] has Hold Up time of 35.3ms. Double the min requirement. Proof) This is something that doesn't make this Silverstone PSU a good unit. Mediocre at best.
With this, it could be PSU issue or it could not be, hard to tell.

Also, I tried a different GPU (2060) with the same riser cable and same motherboard and it still failed.
Forget the riser cable and eyecandy it provides. Plug the RTX 2060 directly into MoBo and look if build works fine or still throws a fit.

If it still throws a fit, it comes down between MoBo and PSU.
If not and all is good, your RX 7900 XT might be toast. If so, there is a possibility that it was killed by the mediocre PSU you're running.