[SOLVED] low FPS after upgrading from RX570 to GTX 1660 Super

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
I replaced the RX570 4gb in my system with a used GTX 1660 Super, removed old AMD drivers using DDU safe mode, swapped the GPU and installed latest Geforce drivers. When I booted some games instantly noticed FPS drop shown in overlay: CSGO used to run close to 200fps, now it runs around 120; The Division 2 used to reach around 60fps, now it drops below that in congested areas, Hitman 3 also fps decrease around 20%. I noticed the GPU would be at 98-100% and CPU 60% or less (normal percentages as previous RX570), but GPU power for the 1660 Super never reaches the stated max of 125w, usually hovers around 80-110w. Also the GPU fan speed would sometimes spike from 0rpm to few hundred and back to 0 again during idle state. I'm sure I did a clean driver install with DDU, and CPU is not a bottleneck for this card, so how can it perform worse than an RX570? BIOS is already the latest version and I dont want to resort to something like windows reinstall. Also when running games, GPU-Z shows bus speed only at PCI-E x1 3.0 (not sure if this is GPUZ error) , Is it possible I got a faulty GPU or bad driver settings?

CPU: Intel I7-6700
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-H
Ram: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX 250GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super
PSU: Antec Neo Eco II 650W
Monitor: BenQ GL2460

Last edited:
Solution
For graphics cards, pcie3/4/5 makes very little difference, and that is at the high 4090 end.
From one test:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/29.html
In the conclusion:
—we're happy to report that the GeForce RTX 4090 loses a negligible, inconsequential amount of performance in PCI-Express 3.0 x16 (Gen 4 x8-comparable) mode. Averaged across all tests, at the 4K Ultra HD resolution, the RTX 4090 loses 2% performance with Gen 3 x16. Even in lower, CPU-limited resolutions, the performance loss is barely 2-3 percent

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS is already the latest version
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

How old is the unit in question?

GPU-Z shows bus speed only at PCI-E x1 3.0
Try powering down the system, disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button. Replace the battery after 30 minutes and see if the issue persists.

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
The seller of your used GTX1660S may have had the same issue.
Check the gpu temperature and fan speed.
I would guess that 80c. might be the proper target temperature and the gpu fans should be spinning appropriately.

Temps are normal, 72c under gaming load, fan speed around 1500rpm

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
BIOS is already the latest version

GPU-Z shows bus speed only at PCI-E x1 3.0
Try powering down the system, disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button. Replace the battery after 30 minutes and see if the issue persists.

BIOS version is F24

3-4 years old

Just tried that along with reseating the graphics card, now GPU-Z reports bus speed of pcie x4 3.0

BIOS version is F24

3-4 years old

Just tried that along with reseating the graphics card, now GPU-Z reports bus speed of pcie x4 3.0
That PCIe bus speed may have been your problem. How well is it running your games now?

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
That PCIe bus speed may have been your problem. How well is it running your games now?
I defaulted the settings in Nvidia control panel and set 3D settings to "let application decide", now the games run at a higher fps. However, the bus speed is still at PCIE 3.0 x4, wondering what is the reason for that and is it holding back some potential performance?

Back when, tests were done comparing pcie2 and 3.
Differences in performance were minimal, and only showing up when using the very strongest of graphics cards.
I think the same holds true when comparing pcie 3 vs4 and 4 vs.5
Not likely to be the cause of your problem.

Maj_Kusanagi

Commendable
Oct 7, 2020
Back when, tests were done comparing pcie2 and 3.
Differences in performance were minimal, and only showing up when using the very strongest of graphics cards.
I think the same holds true when comparing pcie 3 vs4 and 4 vs.5
Not likely to be the cause of your problem.
Right now my system reports pcie 3.0 x4 , whereas it's supposed to show 3.0 x16 as per gpu+mobo specs. I did testing through 3dmark Timespy and the graphics score is about 4% below the average for GTX1660 supers which appears within normal deviation. If the bus link is really at x4 then shouldn't the benchmark score be much lower, or Timespy does not take into account pcie speed?

For graphics cards, pcie3/4/5 makes very little difference, and that is at the high 4090 end.
From one test:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/29.html
In the conclusion:
—we're happy to report that the GeForce RTX 4090 loses a negligible, inconsequential amount of performance in PCI-Express 3.0 x16 (Gen 4 x8-comparable) mode. Averaged across all tests, at the 4K Ultra HD resolution, the RTX 4090 loses 2% performance with Gen 3 x16. Even in lower, CPU-limited resolutions, the performance loss is barely 2-3 percent

Solution