Question Low FPS and freezes.

Aug 20, 2024
About a week ago I started experiencing large FPS drops in games like FN. More info is below.

PC Specs:
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 (Asus)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF
  • Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Issue:
  • Large FPS drops - These seem to be increasing in size each day. Initially only dropped to 90 while I was in fights, now can drop to about 20 when fighting, and rarely exceeds 200 FPS when not doing much in game, e.g. looting, etc.
  • Freezing - I sometimes experience freezes in game while doing things like fighting, this usually happens for about 1 to 2 seconds, this can cost the game as it happens very unpredictably.
Any help to what has caused the problem would be greatly appreciated.
If there is any other information you need, please let me know.

Thanks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Forgot to mention cooling/case, drive configuration and power supply model and age.

Few things to check and common causes.

Cpu / gpu temps. Check with Core Temp and Gpuz.

Drive health and available free space. Check with CrystalDiskInfo. If using SSD, minimum recommended free space to allow SSDs to perform is around 100~150GB.

Windows background / startup running processes and malware. Check Task Manager, sort processes highest to lowest. Anything that stands out right click that process to search info on it. Run Malwarebytes.

Aug 20, 2024
I use fans for cooling and a Phanteks case.
My SSD has 320GB of free space.

I'm not able to access my PC currently but will get back to you with more information like case model, SSD model, and CPU/GPU temps in about 2 to 3 hours.

Sorry for the wait.

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2024
SSD: Samsung SSD 980 1TB
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A
When sitting in the pre-game lobby in FN:
CPU: 42%
GPU: 30%
Memory: 70%

Here are the CPU temps while sitting in pregame lobby in FN (temperature in celsius):
Power: 60W to 100W
Core #0: 50
Core #1: 50
Core #2: 50
Core #3: 50
Core #4: 60
Core #5: 60
Core #6: 45
Core #7: 45
TDP: 125.0 Watts

GPU temps:
GPU temp: 55

I ran a scan on Malwarebytes, it came back with 3 threats and 259 PUPS which I put in quarantine.

I am going to play a bit of FN to see what my CPU/GPU usage/temps reach and then I will respond with the info.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2024
After running a couple minutes of FN creative, I can see that the CPU and GPU usage rose to 60% and the temps rose on average 10 degrees Celsius.

Keep in mind this is not a very stressful situation for my PC as it was only me playing. In a couple hours I will play an actual match in which the temps and usage will rise much higher as there is a lot more to process.

I'm not a computer expert however I found it strange that the game was struggling for more FPS when the CPU/GPU usage is 60%

Whilst playing creative by myself I experienced stutters where the game freezes for 1 to 2 seconds. This should not happen in creative even on a much worse PC than the one I currently am using.

Last edited: