Question Low FPS and Low GPU/CPU usage ?

Dec 6, 2022
i9 10900k
3080 12gb
32gb @4000 mhz
Rog Maximus Hero XII Wifi MOBO (Z490 chipset)

I am getting low GPU/CPU usage and low FPS across all games. No settings seem to fix. All drivers and BIOS are updated. Clean windows install. Games running from SSD with no background processes and no overlays. No vsync or frame limiters are on. I can't seem to get the performance I'm expecting. Most games are running somewhere around 30-60 fps with the CPU and GPU both around 20-30% usage. Adjusting the settings makes no difference. 30-60 fps on ultra or low settings. Temps in the 50s. Tried new cables, reseating GPU, checking voltage and power supply, etc. Been troubleshooting for days but all the fixes I'm finding online haven't helped.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU(and it's age). As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time? What OS are you working with? How are you cooling that processor?

Most games are running somewhere around 30-60 fps
include the titles you're taxing the system with and where you sourced the installers for said titles.

Dec 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU(and it's age). As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at this moment of time? What OS are you working with? How are you cooling that processor?

Most games are running somewhere around 30-60 fps
include the titles you're taxing the system with and where you sourced the installers for said titles.

Thanks!

• PSU is a Corsair HX1000 from January 2021.
  • OS is Windows 10 ver. 10.0.19044
  • CPU is on a custom water loop with a 4 fan rad
  • BIOS version/date: American Megatrends Inc. 2601, (5/17/22)
After some further testing, I'm getting inconsistent results, but games are definitely underperforming.
  • Forza Horizon is the worst at 30% gpu/cpu usage and ~30 fps.
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider is benchmarking at ~70fps but I feel like I should easily clear 120.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 gets about 60 fps at high settings with ray tracing off.
  • AC Odyssey gets 20-30fps and 30% gpu usage at max settings
The games are all stored on a local samsung SSD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You state having a Samsung SSD, can you include the model for it? Use Samsung's Magician App and see if the SSD you have has any firmware updates pending. Make and model of your PSU? If you had the www connected to the system while installing the OS, use DDU to remove all traces of GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Dec 6, 2022
You state having a Samsung SSD, can you include the model for it? Use Samsung's Magician App and see if the SSD you have has any firmware updates pending. Make and model of your PSU? If you had the www connected to the system while installing the OS, use DDU to remove all traces of GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Game is installed on Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM).

Have DDU'd and reinstalled the GPU driver, updated GPU bios, updated chipset driver. Everything installed with admin level.

The Forza benchmark shows that my theoretical GPU and CPU framerate should be around 100, but the game is experiencing high stutter and an apparent fps lock of 30fps despite there being no fps lock in place (I've checked everywhere 1000 times). Even putting a fps lock of 60 in place and enabling vsync does nothing.

PSU is Corsair HX1000.

Samsung magician says firmware is up to date.