[SOLVED] Low FPS and overall bad performance RX 560 4GB (Biostar double fan)

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
CPU: Intel I5 3470
GPU: Biostar RX 560 4gb (Graphics clock 1175 MHz, Memory clock 1500 MHz - OC to 1353 MHz and 1900 MHz) - No 6pin connector
RAM: Kingston 2x4GB 1600 MHz
HDD: 750GB
PSU: 450W 80+ bronze
Monitor: Benq gl2450hm FULL HD 60Hz
Motherboard: Fujitsu d3161-a12 gs 3

I recently bought a new PC with these specs.
I even tried to OC the GPU to boost performance but it was still very bad.
I get lower FPS than on my old GTX 660 card with I5 2500.
Example: CSGO went from 250FPS to 180FPS, GTA V was playable on High settings, now it stutters sometimes at Low, Steep was playable at medium/high, now it is totally unplayable, Heroes and Generals went from100 FPS on Ultra to 60FPS on Low...
I sometimes see my GPU throttle from 100% usage to 0% usage, immediately back to 100% and again down to 0%...
After i OCed my GPU, that is less frequent but the FPS is still bad. (when it throttles like that, it stutters, but when it doesn't it just has a constant low FPS)

I was searching online for a solution because I don't believe the GPU is that bad, my old GTX 660 is miles better.
I updated my graphics card drivers.
I saw someone mention that they updated the BIOS and it did wonders for them, they had the same problem and i put the GPU in the old PC with I5 2500 and the performance was almost identical. (that build had a better Gigabyte motherboard so that rules out that it is an outdated BIOS problem or bad motherboard)
I am sick to my stomach because the PC shop that sold it to me isn't fulfiling their part of the deal and they won't give me a replacement, so I'm all out of money and nobody to help me.
I fiddled with the AMD Software settings and put it up for "High Performance".

The same guy that said he updated BIOS and fixed it, also said that he found a "Load Performance button" in his BIOS, clicked that also, but I can't find that in my BIOS.
My temperatures are OK I think:
https://ibb.co/Bjx8bjg
GPU is always under 70 degrees while gaming
CPU is always under 73 degrees while gaming

I tried stress testing and look at this ----> https://ibb.co/TKpFSsG
It says I have a RX 460
The official AMD Radeon software says it is a 560 and I have the box of the GPU, it's a 560 4GB Biostar,

3DMark test, fails after a minute or two, probably unstable clock, but it runs fine in games. https://ibb.co/F5SsyzJ EDIT I tried it without the OC, it still fails on the same spot.
EDIT I got this Directx11 RDMark test to run, the previous Directx12 crashes:
https://ibb.co/xDJMfr0
https://ibb.co/mDTMJMn
(These 4 links are all the parameters monitored)
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/57352731

Last edited:
Solution
If I may be completely honest... your "new" PC specs fair up to your old PC specs almost identical, with minor upgrades....

Both of the CPUs are perform almost the same... (3470 is ever so slightly faster...)

your GPU is marked off as a 560, but since it registers as a 460, this means it's a cheaper version of the 560 line with lower performance. It's actually a lot more like the RX460 instead. The GTX660 was better in certain aspects, although you've got some more VRAM now which should help in other areas. It could be that the cheap GPU has trouble with heavy loads such as bench marks (I had a gpu one time that was just a filler for a while, and it didn't run bench marks, but it would play games...). im sure there are other reasons...
If I may be completely honest... your "new" PC specs fair up to your old PC specs almost identical, with minor upgrades....

Both of the CPUs are perform almost the same... (3470 is ever so slightly faster...)

your GPU is marked off as a 560, but since it registers as a 460, this means it's a cheaper version of the 560 line with lower performance. It's actually a lot more like the RX460 instead. The GTX660 was better in certain aspects, although you've got some more VRAM now which should help in other areas. It could be that the cheap GPU has trouble with heavy loads such as bench marks (I had a gpu one time that was just a filler for a while, and it didn't run bench marks, but it would play games...). im sure there are other reasons which add up to your system's low performance.

Not sure what kind of deal you've got with that shop, but I would try to return it. You would likely be better off to upgrade the GPU alone in your old intel 2500 system. Sorry if this may come off wrong, but if you can get someone older to come with you, such as your parents ect.... you may have better luck setting things straight. (if I assumed correctly..?)

Solution

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017

your GPU is marked off as a 560, but since it registers as a 460, this means it's a cheaper version of the 560 line with lower performance. It's actually a lot more like the RX460 instead. The GTX660 was better in certain aspects, although you've got some more VRAM now which should help in other areas. It could be that the cheap GPU has trouble with heavy loads such as bench marks (I had a gpu one time that was just a filler for a while, and it didn't run bench marks, but it would play games...). im sure there are other reasons which add up to your system's low performance.

Not sure what kind of deal you've got with that shop, but I would try to return it. You would likely be better off to upgrade the GPU alone in your old intel 2500 system. Sorry if this may come off wrong, but if you can get someone older to come with you, such as your parents ect.... you may have better luck setting things straight. (if I assumed correctly..?)

Yeah, is there an option to return it? You bought it from a business, after all, and you literally bought a nearly identical performing PC to your old one.

I have a guarantee on the PC for 12 months and 24 months for the GPU because it is brand new.
Are you absolutely positive it's not capable of giving any more performance?
I've seen people get way more out of the card online, like waaaaaay more.

I messaged the business, they say they haven't received reports like this, and that I can't trade the GPU in for a GTX 1050TI for example, or a RX 560 with a different vendor like Gigabyte, I can only trade it back in for the same Biostar model IF they conclude this one is broken.

I want to go by "I can't play the games that I should be meeting by requirements therefore I would like a GPU replacement" but they won't help me.
They only want to help me IF the components are broken, but all of the components work, it's just that the GPU performance is poor.

DSzymborski

Titan
I have a guarantee on the PC for 12 months and 24 months for the GPU because it is brand new.
Are you absolutely positive it's not capable of giving any more performance?
I've seen people get way more out of the card online, like waaaaaay more.

I messaged the business, they say they haven't received reports like this, and that I can't trade the GPU in for a GTX 1050TI for example, or a RX 560 with a different vendor like Gigabyte, I can only trade it back in for the same Biostar model IF they conclude this one is broken.

I want to go by "I can't play the games that I should be meeting by requirements therefore I would like a GPU replacement" but they won't help me.
They only want to help me IF the components are broken, but all of the components work, it's just that the GPU performance is poor.

Yes, I'm sure there isn't a benefit. The RX 560 -- no matter the version -- was a very basic, entry-level GPU, the minimum required for gaming in 2017 while the GTX 660 was a midrange gaming GPU in 2012. This isn't anything unusual; a GTX 680 still slightly outperforms a 1050 Ti more often than not and a 780 Ti still a significant improvement over a 1650 non-Super.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

You won't find many direct comparisons because of the age of the 660, but performance isn't usually drastically different than rankings in synthetics.

The CPU is a similar story. Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge was only an incremental improvement. You got a slightly better architecture but a slightly lower clock speed, leaving with you functionally the same performance overall.

I wish there was better news, but this was never going to be an upgrade and I wish you had asked for advice on these parts before spending money.

Did the shop make any specific promises about the performance? Because if they did and they're not being fulfilled, tell them you can either take the PC back or you're going to contact your credit card company and file a dispute. Dispute aren't just for fraudulent transactions, they're also for when you're not receiving promised services rendered, though by law you have to make a good faith effort to resolve the problem before you dispute it.

If you're stuck with this PC, the next thing I'd do is wipe Windows and install everything fresh and evaluate the performance from there. Even if this company didn't directly lie to you (though they may have), I wouldn't have any trust in a retailer that sold you essentially the same thing you already had.

Reactions: Krotow

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Yes, I'm sure there isn't a benefit. The RX 560 -- no matter the version -- was a very basic, entry-level GPU, the minimum required for gaming in 2017 while the GTX 660 was a midrange gaming GPU in 2012. This isn't anything unusual; a GTX 680 still slightly outperforms a 1050 Ti more often than not and a 780 Ti still a significant improvement over a 1650 non-Super.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

You won't find many direct comparisons because of the age of the 660, but performance isn't usually drastically different than rankings in synthetics.

The CPU is a similar story. Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge was only an incremental improvement. You got a slightly better architecture but a slightly lower clock speed, leaving with you functionally the same performance overall.

I wish there was better news, but this was never going to be an upgrade and I wish you had asked for advice on these parts before spending money.

Did the shop make any specific promises about the performance? Because if they did and they're not being fulfilled, tell them you can either take the PC back or you're going to contact your credit card company and file a dispute. Dispute aren't just for fraudulent transactions, they're also for when you're not receiving promised services rendered, though by law you have to make a good faith effort to resolve the problem before you dispute it.

If you're stuck with this PC, the next thing I'd do is wipe Windows and install everything fresh and evaluate the performance from there. Even if this company didn't directly lie to you (though they may have), I wouldn't have any trust in a retailer that sold you essentially the same thing you already had.

The only thing that was promised was that everything works and I have a guarantee on everything actaully working.
The Win 10 is a fresh install already.

Can I go along the lines of "I can't run the games on Low that I should be able to run on Medium/High fluently"?
As I said, the benchmarks on youtube and online for my build are far better than what I pull out of it.

DSzymborski

Titan
The only thing that was promised was that everything works and I have a guarantee on everything actaully working.
The Win 10 is a fresh install already.

Can I go along the lines of "I can't run the games on Low that I should be able to run on Medium/High fluently"?
As I said, the benchmarks on youtube and online for my build are far better than what I pull out of it.

Can you run some actual benchmarks? I can only go by your impression. And Youtube benchmarks are frequently misleading; give me an hour with Adobe and I can show how to run Cyberpunk on my Atari 2600. If there actually is a problem here, a weirdly poor Time Spy run should show it. You'll have a better case to make to the shop with an actual tested benchmark rather than Youtube channels.

Was this Win10 done by you or the retailer? As I said, I don't trust the retailer and given what you've told me so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they also gave you a gray market Windows license too.

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Can you run some actual benchmarks? I can only go by your impression. And Youtube benchmarks are frequently misleading; give me an hour with Adobe and I can show how to run Cyberpunk on my Atari 2600. If there actually is a problem here, a weirdly poor Time Spy run should show it. You'll have a better case to make to the shop with an actual tested benchmark rather than Youtube channels.

Was this Win10 done by you or the retailer? As I said, I don't trust the retailer and given what you've told me so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they also gave you a gray market Windows license too.
I reinstalled Win10 because they were shady.
Time Spy is failing but I did a Fire Strike benchmark.
I don't know where else to benchmark.
The RX 560 is Directx12 and Time spy is Directx12 and it fails.
Fire Strike benchmark is Directx11 and it works fine.

Idk what to do anymore.
I even looked up my motherboard manual.
It has 2 slots for a GPU, the one closest to the CPU is Gen2, the one further away from the CPU is Gen3.
I removed the GPU from the Gen2 slot and moved it to the Gen3 slot, and I didn't notice any boost in performance.

Last edited:

Gamealot_1

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I know the card isn't supposed to be a massive upgrade from a GTX 660.
But surely it has to be better, but it's performing way worse than it.
There must be something that's fixable to boost it, somethis must be obstructing it.
I could have gotten a GTX 1050 Ti for almost the same price and that is bugging me the most :(

this sounds about right to me.

Windows legality is a juridical and moral issue, but not related to topic in any way. What matter here - OP bought basically the same performance system, only with slightly newer hardware. In place of OP I would go and return it. Plus kick the person who recommended me to purchase this old junk. Changing GPU in old computer to something like RX 5700XT, GTX 1650, RTX 2060 Super or similar would instantly and noticeably rise FPS with gradually better picture quality. OP, indeed return this crap and upgrade GPU. Then you can upgrade the rest later.