Question Low FPS in game with Low CPU and Low GPU Utilization

Feb 9, 2024
Hello,

I've seen similar posts to this around, but none of them have been helpful in my case. As the title says I'm getting a constant low FPS in a game for which I meet the recommended specs and my CPU and GPU are not pushed to the limit. My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600
RTX 2070 SUPER
16 GB DRR4 3000MHz
Asrock B450 Pro4
1 TB SSD NVME

The CPU is on the lower end but if it was bottlenecking it should be at 100% in game. Both CPU and GPU are around 40% and My FPS is around 30 at max setting and around 40 at minimum setting. So changing settings doesn't make much difference. Running at 1440p resolution.
I saw some suggestions to update the BIOS, but I did not do this as it was not recommended by the manufacturer, and I don't see how it would help. All other drivers are up to date. XMP is enabled and running fine. One other thing I noticed in task manager is that my CPU clock speed is not going past 3.3, even though that is not the turbo speed.
Lastly the game in question is Elden Ring, which according to every benchmark site I checked a 2070 super should be able to run at 60 fps at max settings. I am fairly convinced there is something wrong with my system.

What windows power setting are you using? Try using High performance. It should let your cpu run full tilt. Also check your memory to make sure it is running at 3000mhz. How much ram is being used while gaming? Take a look in task manager to check speed and usage amount.

Last edited:

lobo33

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
a 2070 super draws 215 watts .the recommended psu is 650 their not that expensive .
hope that helps

Feb 9, 2024
My PSU is a 650 Watt 80+ gold. All my power settings in both windows and the Nvidia control panel are set at high performance. I did mention in my original post that XMP is enabled and running properly.