Low FPS in games with good computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
I recently built a new computer, installed all the drivers I need. (I think) and i still get lag? Even in games like Arma 3 and DayZ i get like 10-15FPS
SPECS :
CPU : AMD FX-9590
GPU : GTX 970
RAM : 16GB HyperX Fury
PSU : 1000 WATT corsair gold
Mobo : ASUS crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU Cooler : Deepcool gamer storm Captian 240

MY MONITOR IS PLUGGED INTO MY GPU!

These are screenshots while arma 3 is up, I am in a multiplayer game with 40+ players on it.
https://gyazo.com/32f30a2e09fbbbe80ee0d2c383bf37df GPU TEMPS
https://gyazo.com/ed9cf0b4d1e5edb067fff9ce177e8d5c CPU TEMPS

We just found your problem your FX 9590 is underclocked to 1.4Ghz. When you run Prime 95 your processor should be running at full load and at least 4.7Ghz.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Thats makes complete sense...I never really realized that, But how do i fix it?

In bios what is your multiplier set to? It should have on the top of your bios screen current clock speed and when you change the multiplier it should have target clock speed which should change as you increase the multiplier. Leave everything else on AUTO and just raise the multiplier until you see target clock speed 4.7Ghz.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Where is the multiplier, I cant find it. In bios is says my processors speed is 4700MHz?

Your FX 9590 at stock is supposed to be 4.7Ghz, but it turbos up to 5.0Ghz when needed (make sure cool n quiet, C1E, and Turbo Core are all enabled if your not going to overclock). Your getting bad performance because it was stuck at 1.4Ghz. Also when you bought your RAM what speed was it? You can overclock RAM as well, but you can't push your ram too hard either. If your RAM is 1866Mhz setting it for that is fine, however if it is 1333 setting it at 1866 could be unstable.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

https://gyazo.com/4dcb96604a3fecedd65d1e9a688648eb

My ram is 1600MHz setting.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

I tested when i changed my ram settings and it was still lagging.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

https://gyazo.com/070b15bc325b087119bd53b6afc84419 Its targeted at 4.7 but its stuck at 1.4?

Ok, its been awhile since I used the Formula-Z bios, but I have my Sabertooth 990FX up and it should be similar. From main screen enter advanced mode. Click on Ai Tweaker and change the CPU Ratio from auto to I believe 23.5 (using the plus and minus keys). This should set your CPU speed to 4.7Ghz. Set your DRAM O.C. Profile to whatever your RAM speed actually is. Click advanced tab and under CPU configuration set everything to AUTO as you are not overclocking as of now. Click exit and save changes and restart your computer. When Windows starts under power management set for Balanced.

Never, ever overclock or set values though AMD Overdrive. Overdrive is used just to check your CPU status, nothing more. You have to do it though BIOS. Restart your computer and start pressing the delete key- not backspace the actual delete key until you enter your bios screen then use the method I posted above to get your setting right in actual BIOS.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Just did it through BIOS Nothing changed.

Your multiplier is set at 7 it needs to be set at 23.5. Your going to have to restart your system, go back into bios and manually set the CPU Ratio to 23.5 by using the + key. Then click exit then select save changes and restart. Let windows load and see if your clock speed is correct.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

Yes, I Manually set it to 23.5 and it is not at 7. I've checked it about 4 times now its 100% at 23.5.
It is still stuck at 1.4ghz

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

I just looked back on CPU-Z. I see that the multiplier according to that is 7. But in bios its 23.5?

I'm starting to think that your problem has to be software related, maybe something to do with Windows itself. What version of Windows are your running? I think that a clean install of your OS might clear all this up and be the simplest course of action at this point.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

I'm using Windows 10

Saying that you have your settings in bios correct and the computer is set for 4.7Ghz then the fault may be more software related and could take a while to nail down. A broad fix that works is to do a clean install of the OS. Did you install Windows 10 directly or update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8? Doing a clean install of Windows 10 isn't difficult you have to back up all your important files, pictures, game saves, ect.. Then if you have a Windows 10 Installation CD insert and restart your computer (may have to ensure you are set to boot to CD ROM drive first in bios) or if you updated from Windows 7 or 8 go to www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
click download tool now and follow the instructions. When it launches select Create installation media for another PC and select to either create a CD or USB Flash drive (my recommendation is USB) when the tool is done keep the USB in your system and reboot your computer (you may have to go into bios and tell your computer to boot first to the USB). You will then be walked though clean installing Windows 10 - you want to make sure to remove everything and do a complete clean install. You will of course have to reinstall all your device drivers, programs, games, ect. I know that sometimes after upgrading a CPU to make everything work its best a clean install of Windows and is really the way to go, so hopefully it will fix your issue as well.

ComputerIdiotLOL

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

I've reinstalled windows, I'm back on windows 7, And i've done a complete clean install. Its still stuck at 1.4GHz

I can honestly say that I have never run into a situation like what you have. A processor downclocking itself is usually do to heat or power issues, but your hardware eliminates these possibilities. The last recourse is to try to reset bios one more time, with your clean install of windows it might work. Easiest way is to unplug your tower, pull the battery in the motherboard for a few minutes, reinstall the battery and then restart your system. Load into windows set your power plan for high performance and see what your CPU is reading in CPU-Z. If that doesn't work the only other thing I can think of is a bad motherboard or processor. I would try to RMA the processor first as this seems most likely.