low fps on high refresh rate

FlowRez

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
i want to get a 240hz monitor but i dont understand why people say its bad to have low fps. ive seen big streamers have 240hz monitors and they play new released games at 80fps. most games that i play are 100+. also the monitor im looking at also has amd freesync so would amd freesync help with the low fps on the high refresh rate on the monitor?

Solution
Really no harm in running lower FPS on a higher refresh rate monitor, you're just not taking advantage of the ability to refresh as often

The monitor will 'refresh' at 240Hz (if you're running in that mode), but at 80FPS or so, many of those will be duplicate frames.
That can result in a choppy experience though.

You should be able to reduce the refresh rate of a 240Hz monitor to suit the kind of output you're seeing.....I think?

FreeSync / GSync / V-Sync even, can assist in smoothing things out - refreshing when there's a new frame to display (in a very simplistic sense anyway)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really no harm in running lower FPS on a higher refresh rate monitor, you're just not taking advantage of the ability to refresh as often

The monitor will 'refresh' at 240Hz (if you're running in that mode), but at 80FPS or so, many of those will be duplicate frames.
That can result in a choppy experience though.

You should be able to reduce the refresh rate of a 240Hz monitor to suit the kind of output you're seeing.....I think?

FreeSync / GSync / V-Sync even, can assist in smoothing things out - refreshing when there's a new frame to display (in a very simplistic sense anyway)

Solution