[SOLVED] Low FPS Very good PC

Aug 27, 2021
Hi, I have had this issue ever since I build my pc.
I get low FPS in every game I play. Always lower then my friends which have worse PCs than I do. I play a lot of rust, which I know is a high demanding game, and I'm not expecting incredible fps. But right now I hover around 60. And recently while booting up my PC I have realised everything is slow. Including just moving tabs around or loading up discord. It means I have to restart my PC. Which usually fixes it. But doesnt fix my FPS in games. I've got a power supply which is a little iffy since amazon sent me the wrong thing. And my dad knows nothing about PCs so 14 year old me and my dad didnt realise. It's a strange bitcoin mining one. Which I didnt order. Either way, that supplies more than enough power. So I do not think that's the issue. I've tried every single video on youtube I can find. Nothing fixes it. It's on every game I play. Even on a low quality texture pack no shaders minecraft I get dips every now and then that go down to 18fps then back up to ~140.
My specs:
2080 Super
ryzen 9 3950x 16 core running at 3.49GHz
Aorus mother board, cant remember which type, but I remember researching it and it was very good at the time (2 years ago max)
32GB of corsair ram. (all works fine according to bios)
GPU and CPU always stay at good temp.
And everything runs off a Sabrent Rocket SSD 1TB

If you can think of any hardware issues that you have heard of before or any settings I may have no checked on my PC. Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Solution
Aorus X570 I think it said. Btw, I turned on XMP. No change in performance. CPU still at 3.49
You might have set something else strangely that makes the CPU stay at base clocks, although XMP doesn't affect that.

Look through the BIOS for a setting to 'restore default settings' and do that. It will return all settings to default values. Then reboot, it might restart itself a couple times as it's training memory. Then go back into BIOS and enable XMP again.

and BTW...can you find the BIOS version you're on? If it's never been updated from your original purchase you should probably do so.
Aug 27, 2021
That could be the problem right there.

How does a CPU with a boost clock of 4.7Ghz come to run at 3.5Ghz, it's base clock?

What BIOS settings are you running for CPU and memory?

EDIT: fixed base and boost clocks...
I am checking for the settings now. And I have realised I cant find any info about my GPU on my bios. Would I want to change my AMD overclocking settings for my CPU at all?

I am checking for the settings now. And I have realised I cant find any info about my GPU on my bios. Would I want to change my AMD overclocking settings for my CPU at all?
Don't overclock at all. If you're not sure of what to do just reset CMOS, or restore default settings in BIOS. Then enable XMP for the memory. See how that plays for a while.

Clearing up some space on the SSD could help with load times and such, but with 32Gb I can't really imagine Windows going hungry. Getting another SSD and moving all your games to that would be the best setup.

Aug 27, 2021
That could be the problem right there.

How does a CPU with a boost clock of 4.7Ghz come to run at 3.5Ghz, it's base clock?

What BIOS settings are you running for CPU and memory?

EDIT: fixed base and boost clocks...
Also not too sure, but my Memory says it's running at only 2139MHz. Is that usual? Or is my ram being run at lower settings? Because I'm pretty sure my RAM is 3200MHz

Also not too sure, but my Memory says it's running at only 2139MHz. Is that usual? Or is my ram being run at lower settings? Because I'm pretty sure my RAM is 3200MHz
That's a default DDR4 memory setting. Try enabling XMP...or DOCP if it's an ASUS board...to get it to run at 3200.

But first: how many sticks of RAM are in the system? if it's 4 sticks it may not run at 3200, so it might be unstable or not even boot up in XMP.

Aug 27, 2021
Don't overclock at all. If you're not sure of what to do just reset CMOS, or restore default settings in BIOS. Then enable XMP for the memory. See how that plays for a while.

Clearing up some space on the SSD could help with load times and such, but with 32Gb I can't really imagine Windows going hungry. Getting another SSD and moving all your games to that would be the best setup.
I also seem to remember already changing the XMP. So I am not too sure how that's changed back

Aorus X570 I think it said. Btw, I turned on XMP. No change in performance. CPU still at 3.49
You might have set something else strangely that makes the CPU stay at base clocks, although XMP doesn't affect that.

Look through the BIOS for a setting to 'restore default settings' and do that. It will return all settings to default values. Then reboot, it might restart itself a couple times as it's training memory. Then go back into BIOS and enable XMP again.

and BTW...can you find the BIOS version you're on? If it's never been updated from your original purchase you should probably do so.

Solution
Aug 27, 2021

It's a pretty old bios. I'm attaching a photo, this is after I have reset my bios twice. It kinda seems like my CPU speed isnt changing. Is that an issue?
mpm6kQ0

It's a pretty old bios. I'm attaching a photo, this is after I have reset my bios twice. It kinda seems like my CPU speed isnt changing. Is that an issue?
mpm6kQ0
Yes. It should be pretty dynamic with boosts up to 4.5Ghz and higher.

No picture was attached...you have to upload it to a hosting site first. If you can just find the revision letters would be enough, it's usually on the landing screen when you go into BIOS. It will be something like "F21" or "F30"....not those numbers but a letter F followed by one or two numbers.