Game Lag/Stutter
FPS Drops
Audio Echo/Grinding

Fixes I've Tried:
Virus Scans with AVG and Malwarebytes
Uninstalled and clean reinstalled graphics drivers
Minimum and "optimized" graphic settings
Shutting down all other possible programs while the game is running

I had a friend of mine build this PC for me (about a year ago) and I'm having a large issue with frame rate and game lag. This has been a problem for a while, but since I've been purchasing a lot of newer games recently it's become too hard to ignore. FPS drops and game lag/stuttering is making them nearly unplayable (or in some cases actually unplayable).

XCOM 2, Dark Souls 3, Overwatch, Paladins, and recently Mirror's Edge Catalyst are the main offenders, but even League of Legends can tank when a team fight happens. In all of these games the FPS can, and often does, drop down into the low teens or worse. While it does this sometimes the game audio will echo or grind until the FPS picks back up as well. I've also noticed that when I run them my CPU usage spikes to 100% in all 4 cores and stays at that level until the game is closed.

I've run several virus scans with AVG and Malwarebyts, neither picked anything up. I've uninstalled and clean reinstalled the graphics drivers several times. I've closed down every possible program and run the game to no effect. I've tried the minimum and "optimized" graphics settings in every game with no noticeable difference. I've also run Heaven's Benchmark software but it runs fine, topping out at 90fps and rarely dipping below 40.

The only thing I can think of is I need a new processor? Any advice would be appreciated though. Thanks in advance.

Solution
For whatever reason, it appears your i5 is not clocking above 800mhz. Check your Windows Power Profile setting, and make sure it isn't set to "power saver".

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hmmmm. I myself have a intel Pentium (terrible processor). But even though the cpu usage is at 100% i can still play games like Overwatch and LOL. I too have a gtx 960. The only thing I can think of it being is some idle program that is using all of ur cpu. U have a very good cpu and shouldnt be running on 100% while playing 1 game. Try to find out of there are any programs runnning idle that take up a lot.

Hope I could help. Feel free to ask me anything else :)

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

What temperature does you cpu and gpu have when idle, and while running the games u have problems with. If the temperature is to high, that could be the reason to fps drop.

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

Just downloaded Open Hardware Monitor and if I'm reading it right the CPU is about 30c and the GPU is about 45c.

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
You know, it could be that you have windows 7. Uppgrading to windows 10 should might solve the stuttering problems. I'm not sure if windows 10 still is free, but if it is, go for it :) You can always switch back.

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

that doesn't seem to have helped either.

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

I downloaded the program, but I'm not seeing where it showed clockspeed. I did take a screen shot of what Open Hardware Monitor is showing me though.

Here are the Idle stats:
http://i.imgur.com/nOdJ7KE.png

And here is with OverWatch running:
http://i.imgur.com/Kua8Fma.png

Since I've gone to windows 10 now during the map loading screens for the game get 50-200fps but as soon as it gets into the hero select and the game itself it drops to 8-30fps still.

ndless

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016

You are a genius. It was on balanced, but when I swapped it over to high performance all the problems went away. Thank you for the help.