Feb 28, 2019
Gtx 970 EVGA
i5-4590 3.3GHz
8gb ram
so starting off im using external power supply to plug the vga
the games used to work just fine 150+ fps on alot of games
but now i can't get 60 fps on any good game even with low settings
i tried re-installing updates, formatting pc but nothing seems to work
so just now i launched apex legends and took some picture with HWMonitor and hoped someone can help me
View: https://imgur.com/a/sxWPkNO

View: https://imgur.com/a/PvQwmhu

Can you use something like MSI Afterburner which can monitor components during gameplay? Using the logging function it can record the results as a graph which may provide more info and identify where the issue might be.

For a CPU to be at 55 deg C while idle still seems too high to me. I'll leave the Intel temperature sticky for reference:

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
My guess is every time the cpu tries to turbo boost it hits the temp wall and throttles, your cpu temps are way too high for i5. Is the cooler properly seated? If you are capable of it remount it and change the thermal paste

Feb 28, 2019
Can you use something like MSI Afterburner which can monitor components during gameplay? Using the logging function it can record the results as a graph which may provide more info and identify where the issue might be.

For a CPU to be at 55 deg C while idle still seems too high to me. I'll leave the Intel temperature sticky for reference:
sorry buddy but that was during a game
forgot to mention that

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
He's reiterated those temps aren't idle and thermal paste is already changed. Likely not a 4590 CPU issues that is a pretty sweet CPU.

Could be that you have installed a bad driver on your 970, have you tried installing everything and then installing a rolled back / older 970 driver?

If you've tried that already you might have to take off your 970 heat sink and put Arctic silver on it, maybe your paste just got cooked and stopped working? If you do that you should be really careful so you don't damage the GPU, maybe warm it up first by running some games, turn it all off and take it out while it's still warm to make life easier, if the paste is all dry and stuff then you know you're going to fix it.

I did it to a 7870, it's pretty fun taking them apart on that basic heatsink only level

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Your whole case is pretty warm too though looking at those numbers, my HDDS never hit the 40s, your Gpu is mid 75s which isn't too bad though really, your CPU temps are kinda high even for running a game...

But you said you've been running the same setup and it just suddenly got real bad...

What could have changed in that time?

Feb 28, 2019
Your whole case is pretty warm too though looking at those numbers, my HDDS never hit the 40s, your Gpu is mid 75s which isn't too bad though really, your CPU temps are kinda high even for running a game...

But you said you've been running the same setup and it just suddenly got real bad...

What could have changed in that time?
ty dude i appreciate ur replay
i'm not sure but i think it was one of the nvidia updates that missed everything up
and back then i tried to re install older version of nvidia drivers and i tried more than one but nothing worked for me , i really tried a lot of stuff to solve this miracle until i gave up
as u said , i'll put arctic silver on gpu heatsink and on the way i'll take a look at the cpu and see what happen ..

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
See how low you core clock is there on your GPU? It might be a good idea to download MSI Afterburner to bulldoze through Nvidia drivers, crank the power limit and temperature limit to max.

Save that, then increase your Core Clock I'm 15mhz increments while playing a game in window mode. Once you've increased it by 50, stop close an reopen then game. Increase it up to 150 then dial it back to where it stops having an effect.

You can download Unigine Heaven to run while you're tweaking.

Also make sure you Nvdia Control Panels settings are set towards Performance and not Quality

Hopefully that helps you

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019
See how low you core clock is there on your GPU? It might be a good idea to download MSI Afterburner to bulldoze through Nvidia drivers, crank the power limit and temperature limit to max.

Save that, then increase your Core Clock I'm 15mhz increments while playing a game in window mode. Once you've increased it by 50, stop close an reopen then game. Increase it up to 150 then dial it back to where it stops having an effect.

You can download Unigine Heaven to run while you're tweaking.

Also make sure you Nvdia Control Panels settings are set towards Performance and not Quality

Hopefully that helps you
*my nvdia control panels already on high performance
so i tried as u said and thank u for mentioning the Core Clock , i have no experience on this field
so as u said i used Unigine Heaven and tried the steps that u have mentioned above
my core clock is stuck at 270 while in game ..
when i quit the game the core clock go high to like 1550 but when i enter it starts going down till it hits 270 ..
i did try to increase the core clock using MSI Afterburner but it didnt change .. it changed only once and it did go up to 324 but that's all .. (the memory clock is changing when i increase it without problem)
so should i consider that my gpu is dead ??
although i found a lot of ppl having the same issue ..

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
That's super strange, a dead GPU I always thought would be artifacting at least, or otherwise not even displaying.

Your memory clock should easily go to 200 to 400mhz above stock

The core clock drops are beyond me though, I'm guessing you've already tries an NVidia driver from a year or more ago and disabled all updates?

Your temps look good, Arctic silver on GPU is great...

Sorry I can't be of more hell

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
No worries, one thing I've noticed people on this forum love raving about is PSUs, but really it might be worth trying a new one if possible.

Unless your certain your PSU is pretty sweet, don't worry about it...

When I was worried about my CPU overclocks, I bought a new 750W EVGA Supernova which I used for while, turns out it wasn't my PSU at all but my motherboard VRM which couldn't manage a higher OC.

But later I transferred that PSU to my new 9900k build, so buying a new really good one isn't too expensive and it will last 10+ years in theory