Question Low GPU and CPU usage, and bad FPS with new 4070 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2023
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 2070 to a 4070 and since I installed it I have been getting bad FPS worse then my 2070 and low CPU and GPU usage and I play at 1080 and on some games cant pull a consistent 100 fps I have all the latest drivers update chipset motherboard ect ect ... and my temps when gaming don't exceed 60c. On my 2070 I was able to run Destiny 2 at a consistent 144 on 1080, now I get an inconstant 100 on 1080 and on Apex Legends can bareley pull 100 fps

Other things I have tried:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
My specs are:
ASRock Z390m itx
i7-8700k
RTX 4070
2664 mhz ram

Last edited:
What kind of PSU do you have?

When you're getting low fps are any of the CPU cores running 90%+?

Have you tried running any benchmark software like 3dmark/cinebench/CPU-Z just to compare known numbers to see if your performance is near where it should be for that equipment?

Check GPU-Z and make sure the video card is running PCIe 3.0 x16 (you may need to run the test for it to show correctly).

Jun 15, 2023
What kind of PSU do you have?

When you're getting low fps are any of the CPU cores running 90%+?

Have you tried running any benchmark software like 3dmark/cinebench/CPU-Z just to compare known numbers to see if your performance is near where it should be for that equipment?

Check GPU-Z and make sure the video card is running PCIe 3.0 x16 (you may need to run the test for it to show correctly).
I just installed a focus gm gold 750w seasonic PSU. I am not sure what that means if my mores are running at 90 percent I can tell you my CPU runs at around 40 percent and I get around 4ghz and this is my user benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/62089052

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed a focus gm gold 750w seasonic PSU. I am not sure what that means if my mores are running at 90 percent I can tell you my CPU runs at around 40 percent and I get around 4ghz and this is my user benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/62089052
userbenchmark is almost as useless as bottleneck calculators. Use something that gives specific results and lets you directly compare to like hardware I already listed 3 options.

You need to use something like HWMonitor so you can see individual core usage. 40% CPU usage means literally nothing because of 1-2 cores are getting maxed out that's what is holding you back even though you're seeing "40%".

The power supply you got is plenty for your system so as long as it's working right it ought to be fine.

Jun 15, 2023
userbenchmark is almost as useless as bottleneck calculators. Use something that gives specific results and lets you directly compare to like hardware I already listed 3 options.

You need to use something like HWMonitor so you can see individual core usage. 40% CPU usage means literally nothing because of 1-2 cores are getting maxed out that's what is holding you back even though you're seeing "40%".

The power supply you got is plenty for your system so as long as it's working right it ought to be fine.
Ok I downloaded it but how do I know if my cores are being maxed out

Jun 15, 2023

So the problem is with the graphics?

Jun 15, 2023
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 2070 to a 4070 and since I installed it I have been getting bad FPS worse then my 2070 and low CPU and GPU usage and I play at 1080 and on some games cant pull a consistent 100 fps I have all the latest drivers update chipset motherboard ect ect 750w new power supply ... and my temps when gaming don't exceed 60c. On my 2070 I was able to run Destiny 2 at a consistent 144 on 1080, now I get an inconstant 100 on 1080 and on Apex Legends can bareley pull 100 fps

Other things I have tried:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
My specs are:
ASRock Z390m itx
i7-8700k
RTX 4070
2664 mhz ram

D

Deleted member 2731765

That PSU should be sufficient. It's a good quality model, so I'm not sure what might be the culprit here, either some software/OS issue or something with the hardware settings.

After you upgraded your GPU, did you make or alter any changes to your system, or some settings, including the BIOS ? Did you install any other new Hardware like a Sound card/WIFI card or something on those lines ?

Or, the system was untouched just as before when the 2070 was installed ?

Ok I downloaded it but how do I know if my cores are being maxed out
dqpXkmE.jpg

Look for that area in HWMonitor and look at individual core utilization and clocks when running 3dmark/game tests (you can also check it while playing games). If you see any at around 90% that means your CPU is giving everything it can under whatever you are running. If none are then you're more likely looking at a graphics issue.

You can also verify everything is working right when running CPU tests as well, but this is less important as every core should be maxed out during those.

3dmark, cinebench and CPU-Z bench will show results that you can compare to similar hardware once the test is completed.

Jun 15, 2023
That PSU should be sufficient. It's a good quality model, so I'm not sure what might be the culprit here, either some software/OS issue or something with the hardware settings.

After you upgraded your GPU, did you make or alter any changes to your system, or some settings, including the BIOS ? Did you install any other new Hardware like a Sound card/WIFI card or something on those lines ?

Or, the system was untouched just as before when the 2070 was installed ?
The system was untouched I even uninstalled them reinstalled windows and still was getting the same issue. The last thing that might be an issue maybe is that I am tracking the wattage to my GPU and its using around 110 watts while gaming is that not enough or is that sufficient? The 4070 requires a single pcie 8 pin which i only have a 2x pcie 8 6+2 pin and its double headed so the other 6+2 is hanging off the side if you that makes scene

Jun 15, 2023
Yep I see so non of my CPU cores even reach over 60 percent hence the CPU usage always being so low
dqpXkmE.jpg

Look for that area in HWMonitor and look at individual core utilization and clocks when running 3dmark/game tests (you can also check it while playing games). If you see any at around 90% that means your CPU is giving everything it can under whatever you are running. If none are then you're more likely looking at a graphics issue.

You can also verify everything is working right when running CPU tests as well, but this is less important as every core should be maxed out during those.

3dmark, cinebench and CPU-Z bench will show results that you can compare to similar hardware once the test is completed.
Since non of the cores reach over 60 what could be the issue

Since non of the cores reach over 60 what could be the issue
Well that would indicate your CPU isn't the problem which means it's the GPU. The RTX 4070 is rated at up to 200W and since your CPU isn't holding things back that means something is going on with the GPU if you're only seeing ~110W. The only way this would happen and not be a hardware problem is if you were limiting frame rate. Try the other plug on your PSU cable just to see if there is any change.

Jun 15, 2023
Well that would indicate your CPU isn't the problem which means it's the GPU. The RTX 4070 is rated at up to 200W and since your CPU isn't holding things back that means something is going on with the GPU if you're only seeing ~110W. The only way this would happen and not be a hardware problem is if you were limiting frame rate. Try the other plug on your PSU cable just to see if there is any change.
By the way thank you for the help
Why arent the cores being maxed out and I did a test last night and i reinstalled my 2070 and when it was installed the gpu and cpu usage went close to a 100 could that mean there is some sort of bottle neck with the 4070 because the usage of the cpu and gpu are so low

By the way thank you for the help
No problem, and hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of this.
Why arent the cores being maxed out and I did a test last night and i reinstalled my 2070 and when it was installed the gpu and cpu usage went close to a 100 could that mean there is some sort of bottle neck with the 4070 because the usage of the cpu and gpu are so low

That's mostly an indicator that your CPU/GPU are well balanced when using the 2070. With the 4070 I'd expect the CPU usage to be identical as with the 2070, but maybe the GPU usage to be lower if the CPU was holding it back.

What clockspeed was your GPU getting up to with the 4070 in?

The amount of power it is using still seems very odd when combined with the different CPU behavior between the two setups.

Jun 15, 2023
No problem, and hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of this.

That's mostly an indicator that your CPU/GPU are well balanced when using the 2070. With the 4070 I'd expect the CPU usage to be identical as with the 2070, but maybe the GPU usage to be lower if the CPU was holding it back.

What clockspeed was your GPU getting up to with the 4070 in?

The amount of power it is using still seems very odd when combined with the different CPU behavior between the two setups.
The clock is around 2775 while gaming ( I DO NOT overclock) and can be 2475 while idle. By the way this is what the gpu with double 8 pin looks like https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/641421441782251550/1119149167495876628/IMG_1927.jpg

So the clockspeed is getting right up to what it should be with the 4070, but since it's got low power consumption it's almost as through something is still holding it back.

Install 3dmark and run time spy:

then compare your results to similar setups to see how it stacks up (you can select overall, GPU and CPU separately your numbers should be close to the average):

This will at least give you a place to start as everything seems like it should be fine.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023
So the clockspeed is getting right up to what it should be with the 4070, but since it's got low power consumption it's almost as through something is still holding it back.

Install 3dmark and run time spy:

then compare your results to similar setups to see how it stacks up (you can select overall, GPU and CPU separately your numbers should be close to the average):
is there a free version lol

Based on that everything seems almost exactly the expected performance level. The higher listings with 8700K/4070 all have higher CPU clocks, GPU clockspeeds (both core and mem) and/or faster DRAM. So if games themselves are running worse on the 4070 than the 2070 (assuming identical settings) that means there's something software amiss as it's not your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.