Question Low GPU and CPU usage, and bad FPS with new 4070 ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2023
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 2070 to a 4070 and since I installed it I have been getting bad FPS worse then my 2070 and low CPU and GPU usage and I play at 1080 and on some games cant pull a consistent 100 fps I have all the latest drivers update chipset motherboard ect ect ... and my temps when gaming don't exceed 60c. On my 2070 I was able to run Destiny 2 at a consistent 144 on 1080, now I get an inconstant 100 on 1080 and on Apex Legends can bareley pull 100 fps

Other things I have tried:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
My specs are:
ASRock Z390m itx
i7-8700k
RTX 4070
2664 mhz ram

Last edited:
I mean its on multiple games lol so how can I trouble shoot to fix this I have already reinstalled windows
Try this:
Additionally: unsure if you play any games that have built in benchmarks, but if you do that might help get an idea as to where the problem is. You could also try running latencymon while playing a game you're having issues with to see if there's something happening specifically during gaming it can pickup on.
Something you have running or set is only impacting gaming performance. You could also check the windows power plan, but a reinstall should have cleared that up.

Jun 15, 2023
Try this:

Something you have running or set is only impacting gaming performance. You could also check the windows power plan, but a reinstall should have cleared that up.
where can I check those things what should I check for the only thing I did originally was swap GPU I didnt mess with any other settings

where can I check those things what should I check for the only thing I did originally was swap GPU I didnt mess with any other settings
Most F2P/esports titles sadly don't have built in benchmarks. Easiest way to find out which games do would be check video card reviews and see what games various sites use and perhaps you play some of those. You can't compare your results to others on a 1 to 1 basis but again it'll give you an idea.

Windows power plans are in the power settings in control panel. If it's not on high performance switch to that and try your games again.

I cannot think of any logical reason why something like 3dmark would perform exactly as expected, but then games don't. Perhaps that was installed on a different drive? but I highly doubt that's the case.

Jun 15, 2023
Most F2P/esports titles sadly don't have built in benchmarks. Easiest way to find out which games do would be check video card reviews and see what games various sites use and perhaps you play some of those. You can't compare your results to others on a 1 to 1 basis but again it'll give you an idea.

Windows power plans are in the power settings in control panel. If it's not on high performance switch to that and try your games again.

I cannot think of any logical reason why something like 3dmark would perform exactly as expected, but then games don't. Perhaps that was installed on a different drive? but I highly doubt that's the case.
Like I said getting 60 fps on any game on 1080p is just not ok lol also every game runs approx 100 or lower fps

jeuda

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hi I am having the same issue too. Upgraded from 2070 to 4070. New card is running at 100% and low FPS (9~20) in FO76. Swtich back to 2070, utlization is below 50% and above 40. Cant figure out why... tried Forza 5, fps is choppy. Thought my 550W psu is the issue, changed out a 850w today.... same issue persisted. Can't help thinking to return the card too. Tried different drivers, latest and first driver released for 4070. First time, i am encountering such issue with nVidia GPU. Glad that I found someone with the same issue. Any update as to why?

Status
Not open for further replies.