Question Low GPU and CPU usage, and bad FPS with new 4070 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2023
Please keep it to 1 thread.
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 2070 to a 4070 and since I installed it I have been getting bad FPS worse then my 2070 and low CPU and GPU usage and I play at 1080 and on some games cant pull a consistent 100 fps I have all the latest drivers update chipset motherboard ect ect ... and my temps when gaming don't exceed 60c. On my 2070 I was able to run Destiny 2 at a consistent 144 on 1080, now I get an inconstant 100 on 1080 and on Apex Legends can bareley pull 100 fps

Other things I have tried:
  • Updated bios and all drivers
  • Verified game cache and reinstalled game completely
  • Making sure XMP is on (Tried both XMP I and II)
  • Moved games to an SSD
  • Running latest (at current time) Nvidia Driver - 531.41
  • Using DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver
  • Fresh install of windows 10
My specs are:
ASRock Z390m itx
i7-8700k
RTX 4070
2664 mhz ram

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

Based on that everything seems almost exactly the expected performance level. The higher listings with 8700K/4070 all have higher CPU clocks, GPU clockspeeds (both core and mem) and/or faster DRAM. So if games themselves are running worse on the 4070 than the 2070 (assuming identical settings) that means there's something software amiss as it's not your hardware.
Reading through this post I was wondering if they might of forgotten and were using higher resolutions and not same gfx settings? or it's an odd one for sure?

Reactions: Richj444
Jun 15, 2023
Based on that everything seems almost exactly the expected performance level. The higher listings with 8700K/4070 all have higher CPU clocks, GPU clockspeeds (both core and mem) and/or faster DRAM. So if games themselves are running worse on the 4070 than the 2070 (assuming identical settings) that means there's something software amiss as it's not your hardware.
I have no idea what to do what are some recommendations that you have, because some times the frames drop so low its not even playable ?? I also spent alot of money on the graphics and am super bummed the way its performing please let me know of a solution

D

Deleted member 2947362

how much of an impact does running an PCIe 4.0 graphics card have on an PCIe 3.0 motherboard?

Because either way the card only has access to half the trough put on PCIe 3.0 when compared to PCIe 4.0

and some cards (I don't know about your card) only use x8 PCIe 4.0 which surely would be worse at x8 PCIE 3.0 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

The impact of the pcie gen 3 vs 4 will be marginal with a 4070. There might be a few % but nothing if the pcie gen 3 is running at a full x16.

Have you checked gpu-z to see that the pcie slot the card is running in has a full x16 bandwidth?

Do you have any nvme drives installed?
I think I did read somewhere they where saying PCIe 4.0 is really only being pushed by ultra fast PCie M.2 cards.

which in the grand scheme of things the average user doesn't even need PCIe 4.0 not yet at least.
Because how many average users needs the ridiculous transfer speed that offers

Games don't need that much so gamer's don't need it but there you go.

so your most likely correct it was it just a thought maybe that has something to do with it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I think I did read somewhere they where saying PCIe 4.0 is really only being pushed by ultra fast PCie M.2 cards.
so your most likely correct it was it just a thought maybe that has something to do with it ?
I think at this stage anything is worth looking at. I know z370/z390 have limited pcie lanes and so when you have 2 installed there is some bandwidth sharing happening but there is only one available on the board in question.

I gather that the OP has checked all on board chipset drivers? Windows will attempt to install its own drivers and it is easy to assume that the best driver is installed. Defo worth a check in my opinion

Jun 15, 2023
The impact of the pcie gen 3 vs 4 will be marginal with a 4070. There might be a few % but nothing if the pcie gen 3 is running at a full x16.

Have you checked gpu-z to see that the pcie slot the card is running in has a full x16 bandwidth?

Do you have any nvme drives installed?
I have an M.2 installed and my motherboard supports 16 bandwith

D

Deleted member 2947362

the bus interface load is at 10 out of 25 max and pcie interface is 16 4.0 and mine is fluctuating between 16.11 to 16.2
what do you mean 10 ? lanes of PCIe?

Your motherboard only supports PCIe 3.0 speed max the 4.0 is the card PCIe interface so GPU z should say PCIe 4.0 x16 @ PCIe 3.0 x16

the bus interface load is at 10 out of 25 max and pcie interface is 16 4.0 and mine is fluctuating between 16.11 to 16.2
yj3mgEq.jpg

This is what mine looks like idling at desktop on left and on the right I'm running the render test (hit the ? next to bus interface to open that window) to show what the actual PCIe configuration is. Your "Bus Interface" section should look exactly the same as mine.

All this being said PCIe scaling will not cause the problems you're getting as even a RTX 4090 on PCIe 2.0 x16 only loses 6-8% performance.

I'm really not sure what could be different for games that isn't being shown in 3dmark. It's either software you're running that is impacting them or settings within the games themselves. If there was a hardware problem 3dmark would show it exactly the same as running a game would.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

On the left it says x16 PCIe 1.1 ? if it always does that then maybe it might be an PCIe power saving thing?

On the right it say's x16 3.0 which is correct max speed the motherboard PCIe supports

Additionally: unsure if you play any games that have built in benchmarks, but if you do that might help get an idea as to where the problem is. You could also try running latencymon while playing a game you're having issues with to see if there's something happening specifically during gaming it can pickup on.

On the left it says x16 PCIe 1.1 ? if it always does that then maybe it might be an PCIe power saving thing?

On the right it say's x16 3.0 which is correct max speed the motherboard PCIe supports
Yeah I just forgot to specify that it was the right pic running the render test and edited my post

D

Deleted member 2947362

Additionally: unsure if you play any games that have built in benchmarks, but if you do that might help get an idea as to where the problem is. You could also try running latencymon while playing a game you're having issues with to see if there's something happening specifically during gaming it can pickup on.

Yeah I just forgot to specify that it was the right pic running the render test and edited my post
are all the PCIe setting correct in the bios? have you messed around with L1's or anything ? in the PCIe settings of the motherboard? or power saving like green mode?

Jun 15, 2023
I cant think of anything else to try that could be causing the issue maybe some else has a better insight in what the problem is?
the last think I can think of is that maybe the gpu isn't getting enough watts its a 200 watt GPU and while gaming i only get like 105 is that normal even though I have a 75 watt gpu

Jun 15, 2023
I said it before and it's still true: hardware setup is not holding your gaming back or running 3dmark would have reflected it as well. It's a software or settings problem with your gaming.
I mean its on multiple games lol so how can I trouble shoot to fix this I have already reinstalled windows

Status
Not open for further replies.