Question Low GPU and CPU Usage whilst gaming.

Kyozo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Specs:
GPU: RTX 3070 8GB GAMING OC (rev 2.0)
CPU: AMD 5 Ryzen 3600
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz
MoBo: MSI B550-A-PRO
PSU: Corsair RM750W

I've been getting low GPU and CPU usage in various games I've been playing (Hell Let Loose, Squad, Tarkov) the usage varies depending what game but is always low, in HLL my GPU can sometimes be 20-40% and CPU around the same. I play on Ultra settings at 1080p resolution. HLL I get 50 FPS, Squad I get 90 FPS, Tarkov is around 70-80 FPS.

I've tried various fixes which include: Adjusting Nvidia Panel 3D panel settings e.g turning power management to high performance, setting a few other settings to high performance. I've performed a DDU and installed latest driver and even before that I did I manual uninstall and installed the latest driver. I've updated BIOS, Ive updated MoBo Drivers, I've turned off Xbox Game bar and gaming mode. I've turned off high precision event timer, I've turned off fast boot. I made sure my RAM is Dual Channelling. I reset BIOS and made sure to change RAM MHZ to 3000. My power mode is set to Ryzen High Performance. feel Like I've done everything at this point. I built this pc about 4 months ago but had a 1050ti in it as I was unable to get my hands on a GPU, and I got my 3070 about a week ago.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Specs:

I've been getting low GPU and CPU usage in various games I've been playing (Hell Let Loose, Squad, Tarkov) the usage varies depending what game but is always low, in HLL my GPU can sometimes be 20-40% and CPU around the same. I play on Ultra settings at 1080p resolution. HLL I get 50 FPS, Squad I get 90 FPS, Tarkov is around 70-80 FPS.

I've tried various fixes which include: Adjusting Nvidia Panel 3D panel settings e.g turning power management to high performance, setting a few other settings to high performance. I've performed a DDU and installed latest driver and even before that I did I manual uninstall and installed the latest driver. I've updated BIOS, Ive updated MoBo Drivers, I've turned off Xbox Game bar and gaming mode. I've turned off high precision event timer, I've turned off fast boot. I made sure my RAM is Dual Channelling. I reset BIOS and made sure to change RAM MHZ to 3000. My power mode is set to Ryzen High Performance. feel Like I've done everything at this point. I built this pc about 4 months ago but had a 1050ti in it as I was unable to get my hands on a GPU, and I got my 3070 about a week ago.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

logainofhades

Titan
Specs:

Have you looked at task manager, showing the load on each core? It is possible those games are poorly threaded, and are only using 1-4 cores/threads, out of the 12 available threads you have.

Kyozo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Thank you for your reply, I will do this when I have time later.