Low GPU Usage on new GTX 1080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BenjaminPlease

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hello.
Can anyone help me?
i Just got my GTX 1080 Gaming X from MSI today. I installed it, but when i started gaming, i saw no improvement in any game at all, compared to my GTX 970
When i turned on On-Screen Display from MSI afterburner it shows 35-40%, or 50% usage, while the CPU is also around 30-40%
Mostly on every game..
My specs:
i7 2600k, on 4.5GHz.
8GB HyperX Fury at 1600 mhz
Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 mobo
MSI GTX 1080
All games running from a Crucial 240GB SSD, on a LG Ultrawide 2k (1440p) monitor.
So basicly, the cpu isnt bottlenecking at all, also im playing on 1440p ultrawide.. Any tips?

Solution
Rust seems to be playing fine even though the usage is low and the issue with PUBG is the game and not your hardware. PUBG should be leaving early access this month so I'd expect some performance updates so hopefully that will fix your usage issue and allow for the best performance on that system.

DarkZenith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I am going to expand on what I meant. First a couple of questions.

1) what are you using to report your cpu usage?
2) is your motherboard a pcie v3 slot or just 2?

About question 1 I ask because of hyper threading. Windows 7 for example would prioritize heavy loads onto the physical processors, but would still consider the virtual processors as full processors. The end result is if a game or software uses all four physical cores to maximum it will still only show a cap at 50% cpu usage. Some software for monitoring is intelligent enough to do a load per core and can understand the pairing of virtual and physical processors as one entity so they report a more accurate cpu usage amount. I.e. a four core system with four matched virtual cores the software pairs the two together, physical core 0-3 and the virtual core 0-3. So if P-Core-0 is at 100% it can understand thy there is no spare performance for the V-Core-0 and balances them at 100%. It ends up showing a more accurate CPU indicator. Another way for you to check is open task manager and enable the option to view the cores separately. You will likely see 1 core hit 100% easy when playing, a 2nd at 80-90% and the 3rd to 4th at a lower amount with low or negligible usage on the virtual cores. It varies by game or software but you get the idea.

Try this, disable HT in your bios and play the game again. I suspect your frame rates will be nearly identical but your cpu will show near 100%.

My son plays on a dual Xeon Octo-core @3.2ghz setup at 1920x1200 on a gtx 1060 at 60fps without issues. (Older monitor). When I get home I will throw in my 980ti and hook up my 4K display and see what the results are for him. (My backup unused card is a 980ti lol)

As for He pcie version that affects maximum bandwidth and may affect the card but with the lower processor it shouldn’t do much.

TRENDING THREADS