Question Low GPU usage

NeilDaMassTyson

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
I recently got a new 3070ti asus tuf graphics card. Was really excited to have finally gotten my hands on one after waiting the better part of a year for them to come down in price. I removed my old drivers with DDU and did a clean install as I went from a Radeon to a GeForce. Ever since then, the card has been under performing and I have tried every fix I can find. I consistently have low GPU usage around 30-40% and maxes out at around 60. My temps never reach the target 65 and remains in the mid 50's, the clock speeds vary from game to game and the frame rates i'm getting are consistently low and are unstable. I am still on windows 10 which is what I installed the GPU on. At this point i'm at a loss, is my CPU bottlenecking? Are there other settings I need to change and or update?

The fixes I have tried...
-High power for power settings (both in windows and on the NVIDIA Control panel)
-Low settings on all games played
-Prefer max performance settings for all games played in windows settings
-Game mode on in control panel
-nothing running in background
-Adjustments in the NVIDIA control panel

My Specs
Ryzen 5 2600 Wraiths
Asus Tuf 3070ti
Seasonic Gold 850 Watt PSU
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7
GSkill 16gb D4 2666 Rip jaws RAM
1tb SSD

NeilDaMassTyson

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Apex Legends -135 fps 1080p
Warzone- 110 1080p
Battlefield 2042 is the worst, at 1080p with all low settings I get 20-30 FPS tons of stuttering

My CPU usage stays at 42-45% while my GPU usage 17-29% with temps in the mid 50's

OUTBURSTPAL

Prominent
Apr 23, 2021
Number 1: Your GPU Usage and clock speeds etc will not go high if they don’t need to. A game will only pull as much as it needs. Some games may pull 40-50% GPU usage and some may pull 99%. Don’t get disheartened if most games pull 40-50%. As for your apparent “low performance”, your CPU and RAM will bottleneck you. All your FPS comes straight from the CPU, logically speaking you can’t expect to get good FPS just because you have a good GPU. If your CPU isn’t good, you won’t get good frame rates. A GPU can only be an FPS limiter. Start with upgrading your RAM, that 2666mhz 16gb kit won’t do you any good.

Last edited: